Homemade Taco Seasoning (One Batch)
This is portioned for one pound of ground meat. See the next recipe below for how to make a whole jar of it to keep on hand!
- 2 teaspoons minced onion or 1 teaspoon onion powder.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper I used to omit this, but a reader friend, Elaine, said this: “You mentioned that you omit the 1/8 teaspoon red pepper. I am the biggest wimp on planet earth and I still put a generous 1/8th (or more?) and it is so well balanced with the other seasonings that it is fine. Trust me – if it were too hot, I would tell you! Even my kids who are wimps like me don't notice or say anything. You might like the flavor.”
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or more to your taste.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend well. For taco meat: brown 1# ground beef then drain if there's a lot of grease. (Click here for a safe source online for healthy meat if you don't have a local source.). Add 1/2 cup water and the seasoning mix. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.