Good morning readers! Do you want to see what our cutie patootie little 8-year-old did for us the other day? I've told you before that he loves to cook and he's always got an opinion on what I need to add to this or that recipe to make it better. Sometimes he comes up with some good ideas, too! Other times not so much. 🙂 (Here he is on the right when I was teaching him to make his own grilled cheese recently.) So I was helping a friend at the hospital all afternoon one day last week and was a little curious how it would go because I knew it would just be him and our 14 year old here, and they fight sometimes — shocking, right? Well it turned out that are older son shoveled all afternoon (he didn't even complain!) and Kasey was being an angel in here by himself… (?!) He got his schoolwork done and then pulled out some lemons and limes and organic sugar and made us all these special citrus drinks!
He had them all ready when we got home and we all had our own little notes with them, too:
Isn't that so stinkin' cute? His face when I walked in was priceless. 🙂
OK, here's what I've got for you today…
- I'd love to know: what will you all do to celebrate Valentines Day Friday? Or is it just a “Hallmark” holiday to you? Here's a neat article on a couple married for 82 years! Kent and I are at 27 1/2 years – youza that makes us sound reeeeally old. Did you ever read the story, though, about how we almost didn't make it? (That was written 6 years ago, FYI.)
- These e-books from Julie at Cultures for Health (who I love!) are still only 99 cents: How To Make Yogurt and also one with Kefir Recipes. (These are affiliate links – thanks for your support.)
- Did you see this post from Sarah? Is Tuna Safe to Eat Post-Fukushima? “Some reports say yes, the Pacific based radiation plume from Fukushima is a serious problem and growing worse as 300 tons of radioactive water pour into the Pacific every single day with no end in sight for years. Unbelievably, Japan’s government only acknowledged the urgency of the situation in September 2013.” Can you believe this?! Here's the only tuna Sarah will feed her family these days.
- Attention local readers, and really everyone else who has been following Mark Baker's heritage breed pig case! Proceeds from these t-shirt purchases will help them keep their farm and help with court costs. Baker's Green Acres Vs. the State of Michigan goes to trial March 11th. Email me if you're planning to go, too! See my most recent update on the Baker's case here.
- If you don't normally catch my weekend posts, don't miss this one about some New Real Foodie Finds (and old favorites, too). Like this funny looking slow-cooker pictured on the right. Also this post from Saturday: Vintage Recipes – and I thought MINE were bad.
- Here's one to ponder: Can GMOs Explain the Exploding Gluten Sensitivity Epidemic? (Watch the video at that link.)
- A reader asked me recently about which nut butters I recommend. You can find those here on my resources page. Here's my post about it: Most Peanut Butter is Toxic.
- An Australian university has started quite the controversy for supporting one of their PhD candidate's choice to research and write their thesis on why young people shouldn't get the HPV vaccine. But the Australian Medical Association's president, Dr. Steve Hambleton, is having a FIT over it. Try not to scream when you read the article and his comments. My rant goes on for a while here.
- This picture was on hot on Facebook over the weekend. Jump into the conversation here.
Long long long time reader first comment though, I saw this commercial last night and I was just laughing out lound, I guess being in a community such as this we can all relate to this commercial from velveeta skillets, I though it was so funny, hope you enjoy and could share with your members, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwzysQp9oRc
I just wanted to add that it sounds like your 8 year old is very sweet and thoughtful. That is amazing that he had that idea for everyone and followed through with doing it!
Oregon Chris says
The last bit there about “opting out” is wisdom I can stand by. Simply to not participate in this farce is enough to tell our corpritocracy that we have had enough!!
hi kelly! do you think frozen alaskan salmon is good, post-fukushima? we get it from target. thanks, and have a great day!
I haven’t looked into that, so I don’t know. If you find out, fill us in! 🙂
That was a very touching story about you and Kent. Thanks for sharing!