Guess who has a birthday this week? Yep, I'll be 43. Kent & I celebrate our 23rd anniversary this month, too. Here's how we're going to celebrate:
We're going to Art Prize downtown!
We did that last year on our anniversary and had a blast. Here's the thing: we aren't “artsy fartsy” types at all – I've never appreciated that side of life like I should, but we loved this. Apparently a zillion other people did, too, because it was a HIT for our city on the first year. Grand Rapids felt like Chicago – there were people walking around everywhere and a lot going on. It was really cool looking at all the different types of art and wondering, “How would someone even think to do this?” We went down there three times, twice with the kids and they were asking to go back.
- Here's one the kids loved: Nesse. (That one won't let you copy the picture, so you have to click over to see it…)
- This one caught a lot of attention:
- While most entries were really neat, there were still plenty that had us asking, “Huh?” Like this one. My brain still just doesn't “get” some art.
- OH, and then there was the one that got me all riled up: Meet Your Meat. I had to come home and write a post about that one. (Click that link to read it.)
Here's what the 2010 website said about last year:
Neither the organizers nor the city were prepared for the massive public response.
By the first Sunday, restaurants had run out of food. By the next Sunday, hotels had run out of rooms. On the final day of the event, a line to see the winning piece stretched down the street for over two blocks. Ultimately, the venue with the winning piece would host over 80,000 visitors, while the number of total event visitors topped 200,000. Total votes cast during the event: 334,219.”
OK, onto some Real Foodie chit chat…
- Do you know anyone who home schools??? Will you tell them about this post? Three Reasons Homeschooling Families Need This e-Course. (BIG note though: I’m actually using it myself to supplement what my middle schooler will be learning at public school, because you KNOW it’s going to be nothing but anti-saturated fat crap. So even if you don’t homeschool, you should look into this e-course, too!)
- This Fox News video on Alzheimers & Turmeric verifies something I'd read years ago before I started Kent on turmeric capsules: Studies show that countries who consume more turmeric have much fewer cases of Alzheimers. Also, have you read this post on Alzheimers and Coconut Oil? There I tell you a little about Kent's Dad, who was diagnosed with Alzheimers a few years back. 🙁
- I just wrote all about our delicious dinner tonight over on Facebook – go check it out. Will you please “like” me there, and tell your friends, too?
- Did you catch the post last week on High Fructose Corn Syrup? This gal, Cynthia, is a WHIZ on that topic and she's answering all our burning questions. In the comments there be sure to read all the hullabaloo about how the Corn Refiners Association is now trying to change the name from HFCS to “Corn Sugar”? Consumption of High Fructose Corn Syrup dropped 20% last year and they’re scrambling, he he he… 🙂
- Have you seen my recipe for super simple homemade mayo?
Have a great week everyone and God bless!