Are you all starting to think about your gardens yet? I was talking to Kent about it today and he said, “I just don't know if I can do another year of all that work and watching the plants do so well and then having every bit get eaten by the deer before we get to it.” So we'll see… I'm not pushing it because he does all of the gardening, I just don't have time, so I can't blame him. If he doesn't plant one this year, hopefully after a break he'll do it again eventually, using all the tips you've all shared with us in the past. In the meantime, thankfully we've got great friends at the farm market who grow nutrient-dense produce for us! (Local readers: Earthkeeper Farm also does CSA shares if you're interested!)
As I write this I'm snacking on a few spoonfuls of my favorite soaked peanut butter (almond pecan!), because I don't want to take the time to stop working and eat. I know that's bad. I'll fry an egg in a minute. The kids are off now for spring break, and today we're celebrating our son's 13th birthday, so I have to work fast. He's the one I told you about who is a jet freak like I am, so we're going to the airport to watch planes take off and land. The other kids aren't quite as excited as I am about this… 🙂
- IMPORTANT NOTE: I just updated the sourdough recipe I posted earlier this week, because Lucinda realized she sent me the wrong recipe, so if you were going to try it, be sure to check that out. (Sorry!)
- I'm all last minute, like always (in my pre-blog days I'd have figured this out shortly after Lent began), but can anyone give me some easy options for coloring our eggs without the nasty dyes this year? I know I use beets for purple/pink eggs, but I don't know how. And I don't know what to use for other colors…spinach for green? Any tips for me? Yes, I could Google it, but I trust you, my reader friends, and want to know what really works and is easy. Thanks!
- Need some Easter basket ideas? I may hurry and order some organic chocolate so it'll come this week… Also, check out the super helpful comments at this post, “The Easter Bunny Needs Your Help!“
- You'll like this article: “We Never Said They're Healthy”: General Mills Files to Dismiss Fruit Snacks Lawsuit. “Isn’t it about time that we take responsibility for our own health and the health of our family, and learn to say “nay” when our children opt for a florescent pink strawberry gummy thing instead of say, real strawberries.”
- Have you been to Saffrons Gluten Free Marketplace? My friend, Deb, asked me to let you know they've moved up the road, and are reopening in their new location today. “Saffrons is the only food store in Grand Rapids, Michigan where the entire inventory is gluten free! And with an inventory of almost 1000 gluten free products, you can easily find your tried and true favorites, and perhaps add a few more from among our new products arriving weekly. Visiting us allows you to shop worry-free knowing that all of our products are safe for celiacs, the gluten intolerant and the allergy sensitive.”
- Kate from Modern Alternative Mama has a new e-book out that I wanted to tell you about, Breast to Bib (scroll down at that link to find it): “Do you want excellent nutrition for your baby and children? This book offers help with breastfeeding, discusses low milk supply and homemade formula options, how and when to introduce solids, and handling picky toddlers. You’ll have 85 pages packed with information, including 27 healthy, family-friendly recipes!” Buy it here.
- If you don't catch posts that I put up on the weekends, be sure to see this one, though: Illegal Everything – Who Decides What You Eat? It's a video from John Stossel’s show the other night, Illegal Everything, which features shocking stories about crazy American laws, and also a great Joel Salatin interview.
- Here's a video that makes me embarrassed to live in Michigan:
- Read more of the story from Kimberly: Michigan CAFOs Conspire with Government to Ban Outdoor Pig Farming. Thank you Victoria who sent me this petition to sign, and you can help the family best by making a donation here at their site. Thank you!
- The newest Kitchen Kop giveaway is up: enter to win these cute stainless steel lunch containers!
Have a great week!