Good morning readers! At the risk of sounding old and talking about the weather, I have to tell you that most of us in Michigan are loving our March summer days, with temps in the 70's and going up to the 80's later this week! I suspect that the only ones not loving it so much are the skiers and snowmobilers…
Friday was my turn to drive for our cowpool. There are 5 families who take turns picking up raw milk at our new farm North of here about a half hour, and while we were sad when Lubbers Farm had to close their cow share program (due to insurance reasons), we were super thankful to find this new farm. I feel like I've known CanDe forever. She wasn't thrilled that I was taking a picture of their cows with some mud on them, but hey, it's that time of year. Don't you love the cute farm boots on these cute farm girls? 🙂
Did any of you do something fun for St. Patrick's Day? We went out with friends to an Irish bar, where they served corned beef and cabbage (of course), green beer (I had wine instead!), and they even had live bagpipe music, too. 🙂
- Do any of you make your own laundry detergent? I tried making a powder detergent once and it didn't clean very well. However, my sister, Terri, has started making this homemade liquid laundry detergent (via the Duggar's website), and says it's working really well. I'm curious if you've had good luck with homemade stuff like this, because it could save a lot of money in a year!
- I make a loads of smoothies (for breakfast usually) and used to put homemade yogurt in them, but after hearing about how much more beneficial friendly bacteria kefir has, I decided to try to make that for the first time, so I just got some starter culture. I'll let you know how it goes. 🙂
- I need some ideas for a couple small things to add to the kids' Easter baskets. I just ordered a couple inexpensive card games that our daughter was asking for, but I'm curious if any of you have any other good suggestions?
- My friend, Geri, sent me this information: “The FDA is preparing to approve genetically engineered salmon, which would be the first genetically engineered animal on supermarket shelves in the U.S. The salmon is engineered to produce hormones year-round that cause the fish to grow at twice its natural rate. But without labels, we'll never know. There's just 10 more days until the FDA must respond publicly to a petition calling for labeling of genetically engineered foods — and we need to make sure the FDA knows how ordinary Americans feel about this issue before that deadline. In about 30 seconds and with just a few clicks, you can tell the FDA that you support mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods!”
- If you're Catholic and abstaining from meat on the Fridays of Lent, have you wondered about this, too? Melissa answers the question, Can I use lard or beef tallow during Lent?
- Oh local readers! Tomorrow is our next Weston Price local chapter meeting and my friend, Katie from Kitchen Stewardship, is speaking on an a rockin' topic: FATS! 🙂 Sign up at our Meetup site to find out more and so you'll never miss any cancellations or notices about upcoming meetings.
- Kimberly Hartke asked me to ask you to ‘like' this page, No Pink Slime in My Burger, and will you please help spread the word?!
- Speaking of Kimberly, one of her posts last week featured World Premieres of Two New Food Documentaries at the DC Environmental Film Festival. One of the lines in a trailer for the movie, In Organic We Trust, was very thought provoking about the need to go beyond buying organic: “‘I'm doing enough now, I buy organic lettuce'… If we keep it at that level, we're straightening the deck chairs on the Titanic.” And another quote, “It's a problem because then the public starts to trust the certification and then they stop asking really critical questions.”
- There's some lively discussions going on over at last week's, “In Defense of Whole Foods” post, so check that out if you haven't yet. Also, did you see the post on how to make your own all-natural first aid kit?!
- There's a new Kitchen Kop giveaway up now, too, this one is for a coffee pot with NO plastic toxins to worry about! Go to that link to enter. 🙂
Have a great week!