Good morning readers! I have to tell you a fun story. The other day our 12 year old son got a ride home from youth group with some friends and they stopped at McDonald's. (Can you believe it?! I had a to take a deep breath and just let it go… LOL!) He said, “They were telling me about this HUGE burger they have there…” I said, “Do you mean the Big Mac?” He got a look of complete shock on his face and said, “Yes, how did you know that?!” Kal (our 19 year old) and I cracked up and told him, “We used to eat there all the time.” Of course Kal had to add, “Back in the good ‘ol days…” I absolutely LOVE that he had never heard of the Big Mac before. Woo-hoooooo! (Obviously McDonald's hasn't advertised the BM much in recent years, huh? Not that he's seen anyway.) If you have similar stories, please share them in the comments, so as parents we can celebrate this kind of stuff together. 🙂
Let's jump right to the scoop for today…
- I'm curious if the issue of grains vs. no grains still has any of you confused? ME TOO! Don't fret though, because soon we'll have a great guest post on this topic (from someone who knows much more than I do), and also I'll share more of my own conclusions after meeting with my natural health practitioner. Stay tuned, and sign up for blog updates (via RSS or email) so you don't miss anything. 🙂
- A couple years ago, I went to L.A. to visit my friend, Ann Marie, a.k.a. Cheeseslave (here's my post about it: Expanding my palate in Los Angeles – because I tried so many new foods there!), and met some neat Real Foodies. One couple, Ken & Kathy Lindner, own a bison ranch and just wrote a new book, “Standing into the storm: A journey from industry into grassfed bison ranching and a call to reclaim our agrarian heritage.” Let me know what you think if you read it. 🙂
- Don't forget that you have until Friday to enter to win the $100 tub of beef tallow from U.S. Wellness Meats – beef tallow is a healthy cooking fat!
- Did you know that the British Prime Minister recently proposed a punitive tax on products with greater than 2.6% saturated fat?! The USDA's dietary guidelines are infecting the world and our Real Food movement needs to continue spreading the truth! You can help to share the message of the Weston A. Price Foundation by purchasing the 2011 Wise Traditions London conference DVD set. Check them out – it's a great way to “go” to a conference if you haven't been able to get there in person.
- Do you love and appreciate that you can get raw milk where you are? Please read this information from Kristen: Urgent action for raw milk rights.
- More on raw milk: Have you heard of the raw milk freedom riders? These Moms are doing something to protect their food rights!
- Someone sent me this video about how to easily peel garlic in ten seconds, has anyone ever tried this and does it really work?