Indoor Smores Bars (paleo, gluten free, dairy free)
Yield 9x9 or 9x13 pan
These Indoor Smores Bars are paleo-friendly, gluten- and grain-free, as well as dairy-free, if desired. A graham layer sweetened with molasses is topped with a fudgy chocolate layer and then topped with a homemade marshmallow made with natural sweeteners and whipped up with beef gelatin. Toast it up indoors and enjoy the deliciousness. Campfire optional.
For the crust:
For the chocolate layer:
For the marshmallow layer:
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- In the bowl of a large food processor, combine the Crust Layer ingredients. Process until combined and sticky looking. Scrape down the bowl between mixing, as needed. Dump the dough into a 9×9″ baking pan (9×13″ works for thinner layers) lined with parchment. Placing 2 long pieces into the pan, as shown above, helps with removal later. Press the crust flat and prick with a fork about 10 times throughout the crust. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- While the crust is cooking, prepare the Chocolate Layer by heating the milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Allow it to sit for 3 minutes to let the chocolate melt, then whisk gently until the mix is smooth. Pour over the cooked crust and move the pan to the refrigerator to cool, about 30 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before removing the pan from the refrigerator, prepare the Marshmallow Layer by placing the 1 cup of maple syrup or raw honey with a pinch of sea salt into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the syrup is reduce by about half (it will read approximately 260-280*F on a candy thermometer).
- While the syrup is cooking, pour the ½ cup filtered water into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Sprinkle the beef gelatin over the water and let stand 5 minutes to bloom. Turn the mixer on low and drizzle the hot reduced syrup into the side of the bowl. Once mixed into the gelatin, turn the speed to medium for 60 seconds. Then move the speed to high and whip for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture has turned white and forms thick ribbons when the whisk is lifted out. Add the vanilla extract and whisk again to incorporate.
- Scoop the marshmallow on top of the cooled Chocolate Layer and spread out. Allow to set up at room temperature for a minimum 2 hours before serving (you can serve before this if you don’t mind gooey layers). Brown the top with a kitchen blowtorch or by placing the pan under the broiler in the over with the pan on the lowest rack for 1-2 minutes. Watch it closely because it will burn fast!
- Serve immediately after browning and cut with a knife dipped in hot water for easier slicing. Best stored in the refrigerator, keep leftovers for up to 1 week.
Recipe by Kelly the Kitchen Kop at https://kellythekitchenkop.com/marshmallow-dessert-recipes/