Lemon Blueberry Pie
Yield 1 pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- Finely grated lemon peel from 1 whole lemon, I like a lot of lemon flavor! Organic lemons are best because citrus crops are sprayed a lot.
- A dash of salt
- About 4 1/2 cup fresh organic blueberries and toss to coat. (One recipe I looked at said you could also use a 20 ounce bag of frozen, but then increase flour to 1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cold butter
- Add to your food processor to make a double crust: 2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 12 Tablespoons butter, 1/4 cup sugar. Blend 'til mixed well, add 1 egg yolk and blend more. Add cold water and blend until it forms a ball. If it feels dry, add a bit more water. If it feels too wet, add a bit more flour.
- Split dough in half and roll each out into a big circle onto a lightly floured countertop. Form one into the bottom of a pie plate, trim the sides, prick the bottom with a fork, and bake for 15 minutes at 300*. Cool.
- Make the filling — stir these ingredients together in a big bowl: 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, lemon peel, and a dash of salt. Add about blueberries and toss to coat.
- Once the bottom crust cools a little, spoon in the blueberry mixture.
- Squeeze about 1 teaspoon lemon juice over the top.
- Cut up about 2 teaspoons butter into little pieces and drop them around the top.
- Cover the pie with the other pie crust, pinch edges, trim sides, and make fun designs, whatever you'd like! (Mine never ends up real pretty and I end up patching pieces to cover holes…I never said I was a Martha!) UPDATE: My girlfriend gave me a great tip: Instead of trying to make the pie edges all pretty, just tuck them under and bake normally – everyone loves extra pieces of crust! It's so much prettier this way, for me anyway! If you really want to get fancy, you could make a lattice crust like the picture above. I've learned that it's not as tricky as it looks, there are lots of videos online to show you how to do it.
- Cover loosely with foil, bake at 375* for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool before cutting, if you can…
Recipe by Kelly the Kitchen Kop at https://kellythekitchenkop.com/lemon-blueberry-pie/