The picture above is from my Instagram Saturday morning. We were having last-minute company for dinner and I needed ground beef. I knew I didn't have time to order it from my favorite online source for healthy meat, my normal source only has a monthly pickup, I knew mystery meat from the store wasn't an option, SO I drove into Grand Rapids to hit the Farmer's Market! I just love farmer's markets, don't you? It was freezing that day and vendors are still pretty sparse there, but soon it'll ramp up when the weather does. I really enjoy chating with my favorite farmers, and I'll usually ask them quietly what they know about the other vendors I'm not familiar with who look interesting. I found some crazy tasty pickles that had ONLY good ingredients — do you know how impossible it is to find any at the store without nasty chemical preservatives?!
Note, I need to warn you about something:
If you see anything wonky around the site in the next few days, or you click on something and it doesn't make sense, please hang with me. I'm finally finally re-organizing things better to make my site easier to navigate. As always, though, if you can't find something, just do an online search like this: “Kitchen Kop TOPIC YOU'RE WONDERING ABOUT HERE”. For now that should bring up whatever it is that you're looking for the fastest. Soon, though, I'm hoping to make it easier to navigate in other ways, too. Thanks for your patience!
- I'm on an aromatherapy diffuser roll — this cool little diffuser for your car is 50% off right now! Put a couple drops of essential oils on the pad and plug it into your cigarette lighter outlet. You can use an essential oil or blend that keeps you alert for long drives, relaxes you during rush hour, or just freshens the air without toxic chemicals.Get the car diffuser here.These are my favorite essential oils lately (I looooove their blends too.)
- I heard a moving story on NPR that I wanted to share with you: The Council of Dads. It's sweet and funny and beautiful. The description says, “A cancer patient seeks out the men who have shaped his identity.”
- Hey Paleo Peeps (or those of you like me who aren't “Paleo”, but sometimes enjoy eating that way), have you seen these books from my blogging friend, Jill?
- Well here's a shocker (NOT): Glaxo Recalls Popular Form of Flu Vaccine Due to Potency Problem. It's just like you've heard me say many times before in my various vaccine posts: They don't always know what they're doing.
- And now they've got ELMO putting on the vaccine pressure:
If you watched it and saw the frustrating ending, tell me in the comments in one sentence how you'd answer their question…
- REMINDER LOCAL READERS: Nourishing Ways of West Michigan, our local WAPF chapter, is sponsoring a screening for the film: Trace Amounts: Autism, Mercury, and the Hidden Truth. We have only a few days left to get enough ticket reservations or we will lose our opportunity to show the movie at the theater. It's scheduled for Thursday, May 21 at 7:30 at Celebration Cinema North (where you can pay extra for REAL butter!). We need MORE ticket reservations to make it happen. CLICK HERE to reserve your spot! Credit cards will only be charged if and when enough reservations are placed. PLEASE help to spread the word, share this on FB, and tell all your friends! Here's the trailer:
- I'm betting this trick is going to help so many of you! Simple Trick to Fall Asleep in Less Than a Minute. Plus it's a great way to de-stress quickly, too! “I couldn’t wait to put the trick to the test, and to my complete disbelief, I woke up the next morning unable to even remember getting to the eighth second of the exhale because it knocked me out that fast. For the next four nights leading up to the big day, even as my stress increased, I was able to fall asleep the minute I tried the 4-7-8 trick. I also used it to relax in the moments leading up to the speech.” One more excerpt: “When you first start, you’ll be desperate to just take in another breath, or you’ll want to speed up your counting, but if you stick to the numbers (or at least try to), and don’t take any breaks (in other words, consecutively repeat the 4-7-8 without resuming regular breathing), you can literally feel your heart rate slow down, your mind get quieter, and your whole body physically relax. It washes over you like a calming, relaxing drug. I can never remember getting past the first set of 4-7-8.” Read more here, including how and why it works. Try it and report back!
- I've written before about How to Lower the Glycemic Index of the Foods You Love, well you'll find the science and other information in this article interesting too I'll bet: How to Cut the Calories of Rice in Half. I thought it was funny that TIME magazine had as their subtitle, “Strangely enough, it involves adding fat.” It's not so strange, folks! Read more about healthy fats here.
- Doesn't this breakfast pizza from Jo-Lynne looking YUM? Here's my favorite homemade pizza dough recipe. Here's a sourdough pizza crust recipe.
- 8 Signs your Metabolism Might be in the Toilet from Robin.
- More good reasons for why not to give your kids breakfast cereals from Melissa. Here's my post on breakfast cereals when I tried to find a decent one to feed my family. Long story short, we don't buy them. It's really expensive for not much nutrition at all, especially when there are so many more nutrient-dense breakfast options out there! Here is my entire list of breakfast ideas.
- This was popular on Facebook last week:
- Did you catch last week’s posts? Heretheyarein case you missed them:
- Natural Snake Repellent (This story is shocking and scary and horrible!)
- Dr. Oz NAILS Monstanto and He's Pressured to Leave Columbia University
- The Best Breast Test: My First Thermogram, with Pictures
Have a good week everyone!
(Note: Affiliate links are often included in Monday posts. Check out my official disclaimer here.)