Chicago Style Popcorn — Real Foodie Version
Yield 16 cups
- 2 batches of this popcorn made with coconut oil
- 1/2-3/4 cup pastured butter
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup maple sugar, just make sure the only ingredient is maple syrup
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup nutritional yeast — you can use powder or the flakes. If you're not familiar with this stuff, it's not like other yeasts you've heard of, it's just a good-for-you, nutrient-rich ingredient that many use for recipes just like this when you want a cheesy-like flavor on your food! (The brand I linked to here is free of synthetic folic acid, according to Adrienne in this post for her yummy Dorito Popcorn, which is also SO delicious and of course calls for only good-for-you ingredients.)
- Optional: a few shakes of chili powder, or other spices you may want to experiment with! This is really good for new flavor twists, but keep in mind that for the Chicago style, you'll just want to use the nutritional yeast.
Pop the popcorn and keep the two batches in separate bowls. Butter and salt them both. In one bowl, sprinkle the maple sugar all over and toss. Taste-test and add more sugar if needed. In the other bowl, sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and toss. Taste-test and add more for a more cheesy taste. Different types of popcorn pop up bigger or smaller, so that, along with your taste preference, will determine how much of it you'll like. When you get the tastes on both how you want them, toss together and enjoy!
Recipe by Kelly the Kitchen Kop at https://kellythekitchenkop.com/homemade-chicago-style-popcorn/