Fruit-topped Cake Heaven
Yield 9x13 Pan
- 1 cup soft pastured butter
- 1 cup organic cane sugar (Unfortunately this recipe is not quite as dreamy with the more natural sugars like palm sugar, but the original recipe called for 1 1/2 cup and I cut it back to 1 cup and it's perfect.)
- 4 eggs beaten, pastured eggs are best from your favorite local farmer
- 2 cups flour (I use organic unbleached white)
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (the kind without aluminum)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (another recipe called for almond extract if you want to try that)
- About 2 cups fruit pie filling <-- that's an easy recipe to make it homemade -- you could use mixed berries, peaches, apples, or any kind of fruit you like!
Mix the dry ingredients and then add in the wet ingredients (except the pie filling) -- I use my Bosch. That thing is a workhorse. I've had it 14 years now and it's still going strong! Spread into a buttered 9×13 pan. Dollop the pie filling around the batter.
Bake 350* for 35-45 minutes or until golden and just set on top, do NOT overtake or it's dry and icky. The original recipe said to sprinkle powdered sugar on top, but I made real whipped cream for the top instead. It's also good with some homemade vanilla ice cream.
Recipe by Kelly the Kitchen Kop at https://kellythekitchenkop.com/fruit-topped-cake/