Egg Roll in a Bowl
Yield 4-6 servings
This can be meatless or you can add in some ground Italian sausage (from a farm you trust) to kick up the flavor and nutrients even more. Everything can be made in one pan so there's less to clean up. :)
- About 4 Tablespoons avocado oil or sesame oil for frying
- 1 big head cabbage, chopped (green is fine or purple cabbage too)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 -2 bunches green onions, chopped (reserve some for the top)
- 1.5 huge sweet onions (conventional is ok with onions as they're not high on the Dirty Dozen list!)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 Tablespoons organic brown sugar (you can certainly omit this, but adds a bit more flavor to the dish)
- About 1-2" fresh ginger, grated (depends on how much you like)
- 1/2 cup fermented soy sauce
- 1-2 Tablespoons of your favorite Sriracha sauce
- 4-5 shakes crushed red pepper (more or less depending on how much of a spicy bite you like)
- Optional: peas and/or celery chopped small
- Optional: 1# Italian sausage from a farm you trust (If you don't have a good source for local, safe meats, here's where I trust to buy pastured meats online.)
- Optional if you're not watching your carbs or you want to fill your family up more: serve with rice, or another idea: brush wonton wrappers with avocado or sesame oil and bake 'til crispy and serve on the side.
- Sea salt and pepper -- but taste it first before adding salt to see if it needs it, since soy sauce is salty.
Sauté onions and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until starting to soften. (I use my favorite pan for this, if you don't have a big pan like that you may want to use less cabbage or it won't all fit.) Add optional celery and cook another minute or two, keep heat medium-low so onions or garlic don't burn. Brown optional sausage in that same pan. Once it's browned, add sugar and stir around. Add cabbage, carrots, and optional peas, stir-fry for 5 minutes or longer until cabbage is wilted. This will really fill up your pan at first, but as it cooks it shrinks and will be easier to stir around. Add soy sauce, sriracha, ginger, and red pepper, sea salt and pepper, and stir around. Add more of any of those for more flavor as needed when you taste-test.
Serve with extra green onions on top, plus optional rice or crispy wontons.
Recipe by Kelly the Kitchen Kop at https://kellythekitchenkop.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/