Good morning readers, it's been another sad week around here. Our good friend's Mom is not doing well at all and on Thursday I went to the hospital to say goodbye to my friend who they expect to pass any day now. (Have I mentioned that I hate cancer?) It was one of the saddest but most beautiful experiences of my life. (I'm hoping to find time to share more about it on my other blog one of these days.) Her faith is rock solid and she shared a favorite verse with me that she wants at her funeral. Please say a prayer for her husband and two young daughters. The reading in one of my favorite books yesterday was perfect to remind me to count my blessings and find joy in the midst of all this sadness because circumstances aren't where we find true happiness anyway.
Sooooooo, let's get back to our favorite topic: delicious, nourishing FOOD. I made meals for a few people yesterday and this organic chicken alfredo recipe was a really easy recipe for cooking up a big batch to split 4 ways, but only because I had this huge sized pan for making 5 boxes of Einkorn pasta all at once. (It actually could have fit a little more, too.) So do you think I need a new picture on that post? Gads, that's awful, I'll work on it. Anyway, if you are taking meals to someone this week or doing some freezer cooking, consider making that recipe, it's also a very comforting meal made with plenty of healthy fats.
Here's what I've found for you this week…
- Are you new to cooking (or cooking certain types of foods)? Cara teaches you how to make sure your recipe goes well!
- Did you know that your coffeemaker is likely full of mold? Read this article on what to do about it OR just use what we do for coffee: a stainless steel percolator, or a one-cup pour over coffeemaker. Both make great tasting coffee without worry of hot water and plastic being in contact all the time like in the kheurig-type coffeemakers or other traditional ones. (Have you read: A cup of coffee without the plastic toxins please! or Redeeming my morning coffee about how I make my coffee almost good for you!)
- Have any of you near West Michigan been to Art Prize yet? I went last week and am taking the kids for a field trip this week, it's SO cool guys, everywhere you look is something else unique and crazy and jaw-dropping. You can't even believe people can be so talented. See the finalists here, but of course the pictures at those links don't even come close to seeing the real thing.
- I have GOT to get better about the tips in this article: Creative/Productive Laziness. As a matter of fact, I printed this out so I can absorb it more later…
- Did you know that if you have an unhealthy gut it can mimic symptoms of over-drinking?? The man in this article was 3 times over the legal limit and he hadn't had a drop of alcohol to drink! Auto brewery syndrome is caused by severe gut dysbiosis–when the bacteria and yeasts in the gut are way out of balance. Impaired gut health also causes many other disorders: autoimmune, learning, psychiatric, behavioral, allergies, asthma, acne, eczema, and more. The GAPS diet was designed to heal the gut, restore a healthy gut biome, and reverse these disorders. Learn about GAPS here. Get the GAPS book here. And this is a Heal Your Gut Cookbook. Last one: the GAPS starter kit.
- If I ever plan a visit to New York City, will someone remind me of this please? NYC tips and tricks.
- Do you leave your kids in the car? See the article here and what readers on Facebook thought about this controversial topic.
Have a great week!