Some great ideas have been coming in on this “Best ways to use a pressure cooker” post, so even if you've seen it already, you might want to check back because I keep adding more…
My friend, Colleen, suggested I try hard-boiled eggs — it was super fast, of course, but also they peeled better than any I've EVER peeled! It was so nice to have the shells slip right off like they're supposed to and I didn't have to yell at them once. I'm going to keep adding ideas to the list at that post as more come in from all of you, so please share (in the comments there) how you use YOURS so we can get a good comprehensive list going. (Please give details, like how much water, how long to cook, etc.)
Discount on GF Sprouted Yellow Corn Meal!
For the month of March, my friend Peggy at the To Your Health Sprouted Flour company is running a discount on their Gluten-free Sprouted Yellow Corn Meal. I love using it in these homemade hush puppies (fried in beef tallow-yum!), or you could try it in this sprouted skillet cornbread! Click here to get 25% off with the code: KITCHENKOP. ***Remember that sprouted grains are much more nutritious because “when grains are sprouted they are converted into a living food with more vital nutrients which are more readily absorbed by the body. Complex sugars (starch) are broken down and as a result, painful intestinal gases and potent carcinogens and enzyme inhibitors are neutralized (digests like a tomato, not a potato). This is especially beneficial for folks with sensitivities to wheat as they often discover that they can digest sprouted grains without any problem. Sprouting also increases B vitamins in the grain, especially B1, 2, 3, and 5. Biotin, folic acid and vitamin C also increase.”
It's time to announce the Amazon gift card giveaway WINNER:
The winner is: Karibeth S., and I see you've been a reader since 2012! Email me within 48 hours to let me know which email to send your gift card to: [email protected]
If you didn't win that, you might want to try this if you live in Michigan or Florida…
Click here to enter to win 25K for a home improvement — what does YOUR home need? (We reeeeally need a kitchen makeover!)
By the way, pictured above is our son, 2nd from the left, with his Odyssey of the Mind team — they took 2nd at regionals (okay there were only two teams in their bracket, lol, but they really did do great, especially for their first year) so they get to go to state! This is our youngest son, who always cracks us up because he is SO different from our other 3 shy kids, who wouldn't have participated in OM for anything! 🙂
Here's what I've found for you in this week's mix-up, scroll down through and see what grabs you.
Topics are bolded so you can skim easily and find what you're looking for…
- For those wondering how Jacob Stieler is — he's doing AWESOME! The surgery to remove the cancerous brain tumor went better than they could've hoped, and they got all of it! He's even back to school. Here's what his Mom, Erin, said after his surgery: “Pathology came back. It is Ewing's again. That is a good thing, I guess. I feel like that's better than dealing with a whole new type of cancer. That would probably stress me more. ? Some fantastic news…the sample of Jacobs “brain juice” came back clear. No trace of cancer cells. Praise God!!” So he will still have to have radiation I believe, but this is great news. Thank you all so much for praying!!!
- Anxiety caused by histamine intolerance…? Did you know that your anxiety may be caused by a histamine intolerance due to low gut flora? Whether you suffer from anxiety or not, you have to read this story on how Eric was able to not only change his physical health, but was finally able to ease himself back into the social situations that caused his anxiety levels to soar previously by following a customized SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet). It all goes back to our guts and good flora. It's amazing how much our stomachs regulate, isn't it? Have you or a loved one experienced healing through diet? Share your experiences with us in the comments. If you enjoy reading other's stories on healing from autoimmune disorders, food allergies, high blood pressure, Autism, and more, be sure to check out my Remedies and Recoveries page.
- Speaking of healthy gut flora, click here for soil-based probiotics. Why is that better? We used to ingest a lot of “good” soil based bacteria naturally, but as time went on, we starting eating more chemical, processed junk which throws our microbiomes out of whack. By re-introducing soil based organisms it will help return your gut to a more natural state and help you HEAL.
- Here's another discount to tell you about, this one from Cultures for Health and also related to a healthy gut! This week only, click here to get 20% off natural fermentation supplies with the code VEGGIES. You could start making kefir soda or dairy kefir, two of my favorite fermented foods. 🙂
- Constipation be gone! A good friend of mine suffered with constipation for YEARS until she started drinking a little apple cider vinegar daily, for real! Click here to get Kitchen Kop updates and also a FREEBIE printable: 25 MORE ways to boost your health with ACV.
- One more interesting tid-bit about gut health: “The next time you look in a mirror, think about this: In many ways you're more microbe than human. There are 10 times more cells from microorganisms like bacteria and fungi in and on our bodies than there are human cells. Scientists increasingly think that these microorganisms have a huge influence on our health. Without them, our bodies don't seem to do as well. We don't seem to be as healthy and might actually get sick more often.” Watch the incredible animated short film illustrating the amazing microscopic world that lives within and on us:
- Scary: Need help with the kids? Maybe someone to help you determine if homeschooling is right for you? Would you like some guidance with medical decisions regarding your children? Or maybe you just need some additional encouragement that you are doing it all “correctly”? Would you want this extra “help” to come from the government? Don't laugh: it could be coming. According to this article from Health Impact News, the US government is seeking to become equal partners in raising your children. This is real guys, and even though it may not be implemented this year or next, it is scary that it is even being considered at all. And just to make sure we all comply, the ever-looming threat of your kids being taken away will ensure we all play well with Big Brother. Wow.
- So much was popular on Facebook lately! I’m going to link to the Facebook conversations so you can join in if you want to, or just click the link to read:
- Did you catch all of these recent posts? Here they are in case you missed any:
- Is Eating Real Food a “Cure-All”?
- Bacon Cheeseburger Shepherds Pie
- Find out how I got the kids to eat beef liver!
- Best ways to use a pressure cooker
- NPR Journalist SMACK DOWN — the truth about mandatory flu shots!
- GF Alfredo Sauce Recipe with Rice
- How to keep kids safe online without going crazy
- One question you MUST ask your farmer!
- Real food is changing!
- Stuffed French Toast
- Look at the sky out our back door the other day!
- Lastly, I thought you might like a good laugh, this guy apparently doesn't love coconut oil as much as I do, ha! Click here to watch. Or click here for where to get good coconut oil. 🙂
Have a good week everyone!
(Affiliate links are often included in Morning Mix-up posts, but the cost is the same for you. Check out my affiliate disclaimer here.)