I have the pickiest palate in the world. When I tell you that 3/4# ground beef mixed with 1/4# ground beef heart is totally unrecognizable in the taste, you can believe me. What a great way to get more nutrition into your family, though! We know from this post about organ meats how healthy this can be for us, (but I still haven’t had the nerve, or should I say the stomach, to try liver).
What’s so great about beef heart?
Here is some information from the post on the organ meats phone seminar:
- Beef heart has very concentrated levels of CoQ10, B vitamins, folic acid, Selenium, Phosphorus, Zinc, and Amino Acids that help burn fat, store energy and boost stamina and endurance.
- More on CoQ10 in beef heart: it is highly protective against cancer and is found only in animal foods. CoQ10 is a substance present in every cell in the body and essential for cell production, we need a lot for good health and can get 40% of our daily requirement with 1 serving of heart. It protects our heart, improves problems with our gums, and has an affect on many different diseases (read more about CoQ10.)
- Heart also has twice as much collagen and elastin – for wrinkle free skin!
- Have you been told not to eat organ meats too much, due to the cholesterol? Read more about cholesterol here.
You really don’t taste anything?
I’ve used the ground beef with heart in spaghetti sauce, tacos, meatloaf, and the taste is no different than regular ground beef in any of these recipes. As a matter of fact, I’m not going to buy plain ground beef at all anymore. UPDATE: Now we do ONLY use this ground beef for everything, including burgers, and it’s actually better tasting, more like steak, for real!
Where to get it…
Here’s where to find healthy meats/organ meats.
Have you seen these?
- Main dish healthy recipe ideas (as of now there are 25 total that you’ll have to scroll down through until I have time to set up an index post)
- It’s not really crock-pot weather, but if your start-of-summer has been as busy as ours, you’ll still appreciate a couple ideas for crock-pot recipes
- Have you seen these short movies yet about where your meat comes from?
- How to sneak liver onto your table!