Don't you love a good organic chicken salad recipe? It's dreamy on toasted sourdough bread, nestled on a bed of greens, or on a cracker. Heck, I mostly love it straight out of the bowl.
It's just so flavorful with many different textures going on, too. Crunchiness from nuts or apples. Sweet from grapes or cranberries. Saltiness from the nuts or a generous dash of sea salt. Zing from some fresh-cracked pepper. It's got everything! Plus there are quite a variety of ways to change it up and make it a completely different dish every time you make it, and it'll never get old.
This is the recipe I like to follow, but with the different variations I've added below, one simple bowl of chicken salad can become a dozen different meals just by tweaking the ingredients. Be creative and add in (or take out) the items your family loves the most.
The Only Organic Chicken Salad Recipe You'll Ever Need
***Amounts are all up to your own taste and how many you're feeding. You probably won't want to use ALL of these ingredients in one batch, I've just included all the ideas I could think of so you can mix and match depending on what you have on-hand and what sounds good. Be sure to let me know if I've forgotten anything YOU like in chicken salad?
- About 3 cups cooked pastured chicken, cut in bite-sized pieces — or I use my pressure cooker to make a big batch of cooked chicken like I explained in this post and just pull it apart. (Then if you make a lot at once, you'll have more for other recipes later, a big time-saver!)
- Dressing — play with this to see what you like, but I'll give you the approximate amounts for one batch:
- 3/4 cup Homemade mayo — click that link for my simple 5-minute mayo, but for a variation, especially if you're trying to eat meals with no added sugars (like I was last month), then instead of the sugar and lemon juice or ACV that that recipe calls for, replace it with a good balsamic vinegar! This gives the chicken salad a dreamy flavor.
- 1/2 cup sour cream (you could use more mayo and leave this out, or vice-versa)
- A few cloves of fresh garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- A splash (1-2 Tablespoons) organic Tamari (fermented soy sauce)
- Add a little milk if it seems dry
- Or instead of mayo, try mixing it up with one of my tasty dressings: It would be yummy mixed with my Homemade Poppyseed Dressing and lots of onions and celery mixed in, or maybe add in a spoonful of my Tangy Herb Salad Dressing to the mayo to give your chicken salad a real flavor punch.
- A small squirt of mustard depending on the taste you're going for
- Vegetable options:
- Onion, chopped small
- 2-3 stalks of organic celery, also chopped fairly small
- Finely diced radishes
- Diced cucumbers
- Chopped pickles or relish
- Diced jalapenos for a real zip
- Seasoning options — experiment!
- Fruit options:
- Organic raisins
- Sliced or chopped dried apricots,
- Organic cranberries
- Organic grapes, cut in half
- Pineapple bits or chunks
- Organic apples chopped up small (these probably won't be as good the next day, so you may not want to use this fruit if you're expecting there to be leftovers)
- Organic oranges, or mandarin oranges/clementines, cut into halves or thirds
- Nut options:
Make the dressing first and mix well – taste test to see what it needs. There is no right or wrong in chicken salad. Be adventurous and try all sorts of things to change it up. Add in the rest and stir it all together. Taste test more, isn't that gooood? Reserve the nuts for the top as you serve it so they don't get soggy as leftovers.
Tip: spread some butter on the buns and toast them before assembling – it gives the sandwich an extra tasty crunch.
Or just serve on a bed of greens or in a crispy romaine lettuce wrap for a filling and satisfying grain-free dish!
This makes a medium sized bowl or so of chicken salad, or more if you use a lot of fruit, so you may want to make extra if you're planning on leftovers!
Tell us, how do you make chicken salad?
- Craving a chicken salad with mixed greens instead? Or something packed with veggies and loaded with flavor? Then you will definitely want to check out this recipe for Curry Chicken Salad.
- And if your CSA just made a delivery that includes lots of lettuce, or if you feel like some Mexican food, then you'll want to add this yummy Southwest Chicken Salad to your menu.
More related posts, or not…
- These kitchen gadgets make my life much easier!
- More main dish dinner ideas
- All my salad recipes in one spot
- This is an oldie… Check out all the very informative comments at the My Dark Secrets post
- Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.