Kent & I have never dreamed of owning a cottage. We can’t figure out the appeal of having TWO places that fall apart and have to be fixed and kept up all the time. (We love visiting our friends at their cottages, though!) And as much as we love to travel now and then, we just don’t vacation all that much either – it’s so much money and over so fast. So as busy as our lives are, we’ve always coveted the Saturdays that we’re able to just relax at home.
This past Saturday was extra sweet, and at the risk of putting you straight to sleep, I thought I’d share some pictures. Don’t worry – of course they’re all food related, most everything in my life is!
I’m getting into this taking food pictures thing. Although I wish I knew the secret to good shots indoors, I’ve learned now that every single picture I take has to be out on our deck with all the natural light, which I’m sure you’ve probably noticed. (Thank you to those who couldn’t look at another one of my rotten pictures and gave me that tip early-on.) I’m finally getting some half-way decent shots this way, though.
First, here’s a picture of the berries I got at the farm market that morning, aren’t they beautiful? Just imagine how good they tasted.
Next, check out this superfood breakfast, we loved it: from-the-farm crispy bacon and eggs, the yummy berries, and my coffee from Frenz after the farm market, as always. I love something crispy with my eggs, and good bacon does the trick so I can skip the carbs in the toast.
After that, the kids played and Kent worked in the garden a while – here’s a picture of he and our friend, Brother Andy, checking things over. (I wasn’t a slacker, I went to visit our 9 year old friend, Gabe, in the hospital – he’s doing great, by the way. Thank you to all my Twitter & Facebook friends who said a prayer for him.)
Later Jeanne gave us a lemon plant and a mint plant from her garden and Kent planted them on the hill behind our fence, I can’t wait for lemon mojitos! Jeanne also suggested I use the lemon leaves in my Tabouli. (What else can I do with these plants, besides just throwing the delicious leaves in a salad? Any ideas?)
So it’s true, we’re easy to please around here. Tell us what makes for a Sweet Summer Saturday at your house?
- Read my other gardening post with 5 gardening questions – this was very helpful to us as we were getting ready to plant the garden.
- The importance of healthy soil – I find all this stuff fascinating, any other crazies out there?
- The Quest for Nutrient Dense Food – High Brix Farming & Gardening – I’d never even heard of a Brix meter until I read this article!
- Why we buy local, organic, sustainable food as much as possible. This lingo is getting more and more maintsream, I love it!
- Milk comes from cows, not beans – a post about a great talk given by Karen, who owns the farm where we get our raw milk.
- How we treat the animals we eat – Oprah & Lisa Ling missed something HUGE.
- This is part of Things I love Thursday & Kimberly’s Natural Foods Carnival, find more fun posts there!