***Please note that there have been some recent concerns about the below product. Please read more at this post, or click here to find out what were taking nowadays. Do some reading and research, and decide for yourself what is best for your family. Thank you.
Have you heard of the new Green Pasture infused superfood coconut oil blend?
I was leery at the thought of another healthy oil that I should take daily, since I still have trouble getting the fermented cod liver oil down sometimes. But then Dave sent me some to try, and I found out that this infused coconut oil is a quadruple whammy — it has four superfood oils in one blend, so we can take all the good stuff we need in one serving!
Here's what's in it:
- Coconut Oil – A traditional healthy fat that boosts our metabolism and our immune system; plus it has lauric acid, a powerful cancer fighter! Until now I mostly just cooked with it, but Kent had been taking a spoonful the virgin coconut oil daily (read about Alzheimer's and coconut oil here and about the possible benefits for those like Kent with a strong Alzheimer's gene in their family – also at that link you can read about his amazing parents) plus he took the FCLO, so he's happy to only take one now.
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil – This is the main “supplement” (except it's a food) that our family takes. It helps the kids to focus — these benefits are very noticeable, plus I've told you before how it's my All Natural Chill Pill for Anxiety. Also, when we feel like we might be getting sick we'll take a spoonful, and nine times out of ten we wake up with no symptoms THE NEXT DAY, so I know it's a powerful immune-system builder. Read more here about the many benefits of clo!
- Skate Liver Oil – I don't know a lot about this one, maybe others could jump in, except that it has a different range of nutrients from the cod liver oil to give us another health boost. I've had this on my radar for a while, but knew there was no way I was going to get another oil down every day. Dave from Green Pasture says this: “Skate liver oil is complete in its offering of many nutrients in a similar balance as cod liver oil. Unlike shark liver oil, skate liver oil is abundant in vitamins A, D, E, K, the full range of omega fatty acids, plus all the unique nutrients found in shark liver oil such as chondroitin, squalene, and alkoxglycerols.”
- High Vitamin Butter Oil – Whenever I've tried to take this straight in the past I'd gag, so instead I bought pastured butter and hoped we were getting as much of the vitamins A, D, and K and other nutrients from that. But the more I've heard about the amazing healing benefits of butter oil specifically, since it's made from fast-growing spring grass that's extra loaded with nutrients (have you read How to Save $2600 in Dental Bills?) I've really wanted to get the family taking it. Until now I didn't know how because it doesn't taste like regular butter, if you ask me. We also tried the high vitamin butter oil pills, but the kids and I hate swallowing pills. So this part is what I'm most excited about, that now we can get it in this blend with all the other stuff! More from Green Pasture: Butter oil is “made from dairy oil extracted without heat from cows that eat 100% rapidly growing grass. The speed of the grass growth, timing of the grazing of this grass, species of grass, climate and extraction method are all important to make real X-Factor Gold™ High Vitamin Butter Oil.”
Note that we like the cinnamon, but it also comes in caramel, carob banana, and unflavored.
They like it better!
Everyone else in my family takes it off a spoon and says this tastes much better than the regular fermented cod liver oil because it's got a little milder flavor. Personally, I wouldn't know, because I take this stuff the same way I always took the other — my foolproof no-gag method:
- Fill a syringe and shoot it to the back of my mouth quickly before letting myself think about it too much.
- Say to myself, “That's not so bad”, and it's really not so bad. (Some who aren't wimps like me actually like it.)
- Take a few swallows of a hot drink — you can guess what that usually is.
- Then hurry and eat a few bites of food. DONE!
- FYI: A LOT of people have told me they mix it with a little juice and throw it back like a shot.
We still keep the ‘regular' fermented cod liver oil around, though…
Since the FCLO has always helped our family when we need immune-system building, we'll still take an extra hit of that when we feel like we might be coming down with a bug, when someone needs more help focusing, or when Mama's nerves feel especially frazzled. (Oh, but that rarely happens with homeschooling, things are always nice and calm around here…)
We take anywhere from one teaspoon to a tablespoon – it says the serving size is 1/2 tablespoon on the label.
The only tricky part:
It's semi-solid at room temperature, so in the winter I'll have to put the container in hot water for a few minutes to liquify it a little bit so I can get it into my syringe. Of course, Kent isn't as high-maintenance as the kids and I are, and he just eats it how it is.
- Get the butter oil or regular fermented cod liver oil here
- Get coconut oil here
- A huge list of ways others get more coconut oil into their diet
- Benefits of fermented cod liver oil
- Coconut oil and Alzheimer's
- My All Natural Chill Pill for Anxiety
- How to Save $2600 in Dental Bills
(Note that affiliate links are included above, thanks for your support!)