Spinach dip is one of those recipes that I missed once I got into real food, because I knew there was no way I'd use those disgusting packets of vegetable soup mix that most versions called for.
Check out the label on the one I used to buy:
Wow, how many of these ingredients gross YOU out? Besides the MSG and Canola oil, there are more chemical doozies in there, too.
Try this even tastier and MUCH better-for-you version instead!
Spinach Dip – Real Foodie Version
Ingredients and Instructions:
- 8 ounces organic softened cream cheese or you could use this homemade yogurt cheese, too!
- 16 ounces sour cream
- Minced fresh garlic, to your taste – we like a LOT (6 cloves or more!) — you can also use 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Minced 0nions or 1 teaspoon onion powder
Mix the above ingredients together well, I use a handheld blender to get it really smooth and creamy.
Stir in the following:
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach or 1 box of frozen spinach, lightly steamed (to break down the anti-nutrients in raw spinach – read more about that here), chopped up small
- Optional: Carrots chopped small and steamed just until crisp-tender
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pieces of bread from the bread bowl
- Crackers — try these sourdough crackers!
- Fresh vegetables, like carrot sticks, celery, cucumber slices, peppers, etc.
Let me know if you like it!
- More appetizers for your Christmas or New Year's Eve gatherings!
- My entire recipe collection is here.