Last week we had chicken tacos for dinner and normally that’s all we would have, but since my sister and niece were here, I wanted something to go with it and I love this easy homemade Spanish rice recipe.
Spanish Rice Recipe: Easy Mexican Side Dish
- 2 Tablespoons butter, pastured butter is best
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, make sure you’re using REAL olive oil, read more about that here
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large chopped onion, or 1 Tablespoon dried onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1-2 chopped jalapenos if you think your family would go for a little heat
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups chicken broth — see Bone Broth for Rookies for instructions, OR you can buy some awesome bone broth here if you don’t want to make it.
- 6-8 ounces organic tomato paste (preferably from a glass jar not a can)
- 14-18 ounces or so of organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- Whatever herbs and spices you think your family would like, we like all of these: garlic powder, oregano, parsley,and sea salt and pepper of course — I like getting spices here so I know they’re not irradiated.
- Your favorite shredded cheese for the top, if desired
- 1 pound ground beef to make it a main dish! (Find safe, healthy meat here if you don’t have a good local source.)
Add the following ingredients: chicken broth, tomato paste and diced tomatoes, and spices.
This will look like there’s a lot of liquid, but it will soak up as it bakes.
Bake at 350* in a buttered glass bowl or 9 x 13 glass baking dish for 1 hour or until rice is soft. (Allow up to an hour and a half and then if it gets soft sooner, keep it in a warm oven.) When it’s almost done, throw on the cheese to melt if you want it extra dreamy — it’s not shown with cheese in the picture, but we almost always add the cheese!
***Add browned ground beef to make into a main dish! (Just brown it in a skillet first, breaking it into small pieces, and then stir into the rice mixture.)
This comes out very moist and flavorful!
If you have a favorite Spanish rice recipe, let us know how yours is different?
- Any of these Mexican recipes!
- Or Kent loves it inside his tacos or fajitas.
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.