This Baked Spaghetti Pie Recipe is another simple make-ahead meal
I feel rich when I have extra pans of food in our freezer. I often save them for when I just can't crank out a meal that day — it feels like a safety net for more-than-normal nutty evenings. It's also nice making extra (or keeping extra on-hand) for friends when they're sick or just had a baby. 🙂
Someone gave me this recipe when we got married, so it's an oldie but a goodie. Spaghetti by itself is a fast meal already, but this make-ahead version is even faster when you just pop a pan into the oven!
Baked Spaghetti Pie Recipe
NOTE: This makes THREE 9×13 sized baking pans of spaghetti pie. Amounts for 1 batch are in parenthesis, and 1 batch could also go into 2 pie pans instead of a 9×13.
Ingredients (see photos below the recipe!):
- 2 – 2 1/2 pounds of your favorite spaghetti pasta (3/4 pound or so for one batch), cooked — we like Einkorn pasta or spelt pasta, or you could use rice pasta if your family is gluten-free
- 6 well-beaten eggs (2 eggs), pastured eggs are best
- 3 Tablespoons garlic powder (1 Tablespoon) – this will give it a lot of flavor, use more or less to your taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (1/3 cup)
- 6 Tablespoons soft or melted butter, pastured butter is best (2 Tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (1/2 teaspoon) – use more to your taste
- 3-8 ounce blocks of cream cheese, softened (8 oz.) OR use homemade cream cheese (very simple to make!)
- 3 cups sour cream (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (1/2 teaspoon or so)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (1/3 teaspoon or so)
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme (1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh or dried oregano (1 teaspoon)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh or dried basil (1 teaspoon)
- 2-2 1/2 pounds ground beef or ground sausage is optional (3/4#), cook it up first with some onion and sea salt and pepper (where to find healthy meat if you don't have a good local source)
- 3-24 ounce jars of your favorite homemade or store-bought organic pasta sauce (1 jar)
- 1-2 cups per pan of whatever shredded cheese you have on hand, we like mozzarella
Butter your baking pans. Preheat the oven to 350*. In one bowl stir together the pasta mixture. Form into a “crust” in the pan. In another bowl stir together the herb mixture, then spread over the pasta. Sprinkle on the cooked meat if desired. Spoon pasta sauce over the top, and bake uncovered in a 350* oven for 20-30 minutes or until center is hot. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake another 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
If you're making it ahead for the freezer, don't add the cheese on top yet AND don't bake it yet. Cover well and freeze; the day you want to serve, give it a few hours on the counter to thaw and then bake as described above, adding cheese on at the end. Of course, you know me, I don't always remember to get it out of the freezer ahead, so in that case, bake at 225* for 90 minutes or so until the middle is hot and then add the cheese to melt. (Before freezing, I'll put the cheese in a baggie and tape it to the top of the pan otherwise I won't have any on baking day or I'll forget it if I'm taking the spaghetti pie to a friend's house!)
Photos below are in order: the egg mixture before adding cooked pasta, the herb mixture, just after the herb mixture went on, AND the picture I was going to use before I made the one that I think is better above. 🙂
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.