Warning, sad coconut story ahead…
Have you learned about all the health benefits of getting more coconut in your diet (or on your skin)? If so, please share all your coconut ideas, recipes, or tips in today’s Real Food Wednesday blog carnival! (More on how to do that below. Also, Ann Marie & I alternate hosting Real Food Wednesdays – be sure to check below to find out about upcoming topics.)
MY SAD COCONUT STORY (not really)
I went to the store Saturday to get the stuff to make a new fish recipe and needed some flaked coconut. I’ve only recently begun to like more and more foods with coconut, so I had never bought it before. I found out that the bagged kind is full of preservatives! I just couldn’t do it. (I’m assuming there is organic flaked coconut to be found somewhere?) So I bought a whole coconut, much to Kent’s dismay, and being the great guy he is, he showed that coconut who was boss. It took a while, but he got the milk out (and I used some to make the kids’ smoothies for breakfast), he chopped it open, peeled it (what a pain!) and shredded it while I threw the rest of the dinner together.
Here’s the kicker…
After all that, none of us liked it. However, it may have been because of an eensy weensy little problem. I started the recipe an hour before we planned to eat, and then realized it was supposed to marinate for a few hours. Oops. That would probably make a big difference…ya think? (Side note: Kent has only recently been willing to try eating fish, and heck if I can make it a way that we all like – I stink at making fish! And I can’t find decent fish around here anyway, it’s all farm-raised.)
SO MUCH FOR MY COCONUT RECIPE TO SHARE
HERE’S HOW YOU JUMP IN ON ALL THIS CRAZY FUN:
- If you do NOT have a blog, comment below with your ideas, tips & recipes.
- If you DO have a blog, use Mr. Linky below to link your coconut post to this one. ***BE SURE to include a link back to this post, so your readers can benefit from all the information, too. (Your link back also helps Ann Marie & I to grow our blogs.)
UPDATE: Mr. Linky is working now!
By the way, it’s not too late to add your link or your comment to one of these past topics! ***If you add your link, though, be sure to comment too, otherwise we won’t know to look – new comments have email notifications, but new links don’t.
- Healthy fast food (last-minute meal ideas)
- Real Food on a Budget
- Low-Carb Ideas
- Gluten-Free Real Food
- Rookie Tips from YOU (advice for beginners)
- Recipes using nutritious bone broth
- Feb 25 @ Cheeseslave: Real Food Testimonials! (Share Your Success Stories!)
- Mar 4 @ Kitchen Kop: Your best time-saving Kitchen/Nutrition Tips
- Mar 11 @ Cheeseslave: Kid-Friendly Real Food – Healthy Food Kids Love!
- Mar 18 @ Kitchen Kop: Natural Body Care Products for Real Foodies
- Mar 25 @ Cheeseslave: Growing Real Food (What Are You Planting?)
- Don’t forget to check out the best deals on coconut oil!
- Does all this talk of coconut oil have you wondering about cod liver oil? No? Well look this over anyway please, we all really should be taking it.