Back before my “food conversion“, I used to make Hamburger Helper all the time. It makes me sick now thinking of the MSG, trans fats and other junk in those boxed meals. Here are a couple recipes that are similar to a Hamburger Helper meal, just as easy, but much healthier. They originally came from Taste of Home, but as usual, I made a lot of changes.
UPDATE: These days we're not making pasta dishes as much as we used to because A. We're eating fewer grains, and B. Pasta isn't exactly a properly prepared grain, but these recipes are nice for once in a while.
*****all ingredients organic if possible, thankfully now you can find all this stuff organic
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles (where to buy good-for-you noodles)
- 3/4 pound ground beef (from a farm with grass fed cows that are not fed animal by-products or soymeal and aren't given hormones)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 1/4 cups water (filtered water if possible – I know, I'm getting on your nerves that I have to be picky about everything)
- 1 can (6oz.) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
Cook noodles according to directions. Meanwhile in large skillet cook beef and onion until brown. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Drain noodles and stir in. Yield: 4 servings. Isn't that easy?! Everyone ate it, too! A mini-miracle at our house!
Saucy Macaroni Skillet
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked pasta – whatever shape you like (I used more like 4 cups)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I omit since my kids won't eat it, grrrrr)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter (I used more)
- 2 cans (10 oz.) organic cream of chicken soup, undiluted (or make your own homemade version!)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken (I used a little less)
- Crispy Almonds
Cook pasta. Meanwhile in saucepan sauté celery, green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Stir in soup and milk until blended. Add cheese, cook over medium heat until melted. Drain pasta and add to soup mixture with turkey and some salt if desired. Cook and stir 'til heated through. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4-6 servings
- Healthy mac & cheese – it was a hit!
- Dinner tonight: easy pork loin
- Easy chicken recipe – better than chicken nuggets!
- Healthy milk
- Organic coconut for dieting, lice, eczema & more!
- Kitchen Gadgets to Make Life Easier
- Find more Skillet recipes from Katie!
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.