Healthy Waffles and Pancakes Recipe!
I use this recipe for waffles OR pancakes and it makes a lot. With the extra batter I make more and only lightly brown them. Then when they’re cool, put them into a freezer ziplock (with wax paper in between) to pull out later and toss into the toaster where they finish browning and you have a fast healthy breakfast! (Without having to use the microwave!)
This recipe uses flour that is soaked overnight, read what that means at that link and why it’s a more nutritious way to prepare the grains in your diet. Short version: “Soaking” or preparing grains like this breaks down the phytic acid in the flour so all the minerals (from a big glass of whole milk) are better assimilated. It is also helpful for those with digestion problems, as this method is a way to partially “pre-digest” the grains.
Soaked pancakes or waffles:
The night before mix together until moist:
- 4 c. whole wheat pastry flour or my new favorite (or grind 2c. soft wheat berries – get soft wheat berries here)
- 2 c. whole milk, preferably raw milk (remember, low-fat dairy is not healthy!)
- 5-6oz. plain organic whole-milk yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir
Cover and set overnight on the counter in a warm spot (or gently heat the milk first), for at least 7 hours. In the morning add the following and mix well:
- 4 eggs (preferably from the farm/pasture-fed)
- 1 t. vanilla (Get organic vanilla here.)
- 1 t. sea salt (Get real sea salt here.)
- 1 T. baking powder (Get aluminum-free baking powder here.)
- 1 t. baking soda (Get baking soda here.)
*Note: if you like yours to taste a bit lighter, you can substitute half the whole grain flour for white unbleached flour or my favorite, Einkorn flour. (Get unbleached white flour here or get Einkorn flour here.)
It took me a while to perfect this – the recipe in my cookbook for these pancakes was too sour – this is just right and the kids love it. I fry the pancakes in butter (or the no-flavor coconut oil) on a hot griddle so they get crispy on the edges – yum! We like them with lots of local blueberries on top.
How many will this make???
See the comments below, about #13-15 or so.
- Another great pancake recipe, only this one uses a variety of grains and is 100% whole grain, too!
- Meatless/Vegetarian/Lenten Meal Ideas
- Have you heard of Weston A. Price?
- Kelly’s Cilantro Ancho-chili Lime Mayo
- Recipe for popcorn with coconut oil
- Easy organic oatmeal recipe
- Eating healthy without sacrifices