Kent & I came up with this fish recipe today and both agreed that it was the best fish we’ve ever had, including what we’ve eaten in restaurants. This is quite amazing, considering we only just recently began eating more fish (Kent never used to like it much), and whenever we tried it in the past, I always bombed miserably. (Read about my very first success with fish fried in tallow.) After making pesto Saturday, we were both still in the mood for more…wait until you take in the aroma, and when you taste it, you’ll be amazed at the perfect blend of flavors with the fish. It’s got ZERO carbs, too! (Something I only just realized, hours after eating it, that’s how good it was.)
FRIED FISH WITH FRESH LEMON GARLIC PESTO
- First we grabbed these herbs from out back:
1. A small handful of lemon balm leaves (I LOVE having that and our own mint leaves right in our yard!) – check out all the benefits in these leaves from this Wikipedia link! (If you don’t have any, just omit this and add a couple extra squeezes of lemon juice.) 2. A small handful of parsley. (About 1/2 cup of leaves.) 3. 2 large handfuls of basil. (Sorry for these measurements, but it really doesn’t have to be exact at all.) About 1 1/2 cups of leaves.
- I ground them up in our mini food processor (in small batches) and then added the following:
- Meanwhile, fry fish (find safe, healthy seafood here) in plenty of butter, seasoned with sea salt and pepper. It just hit me – I wonder how this would be baked in a generously buttered pan…this way you wouldn’t have to stand over the stove and you could make more of it for a bigger crowd much more easily. (UPDATE: We tried this with shrimp and it was just as tasty!)
- Serve the pesto with the fish and dig in!
If you try it, let us know what you think! Note: we had about 10 pieces of medium sized Tilapia, and the amount of pesto above was perfect for our family of 6…keep in mind that the three youngest only ate the fish, though. Why is it that kids often can’t get over the color green in their food?
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.