Now and then Kent & I still talk about how good our school hot lunches were in the small Michigan town we grew up in, and most kids felt the same. There were at least six lunch ladies working in the kitchen, they started in the morning and still cooked most things from scratch. One of the lunches I loved was called, “pizza on bun”. The other day it was 5:00 pm and after a day of running all over the place, once again I didn’t know what was for dinner. Yes, I KNOW I should be meal planning, but I still just haven’t gotten back into the groove yet. I pulled it off with these though, and had everything on hand. It’s also a great lunch for a big group. Friday after the last day of school for the kids (half day for them), there were 12 of us here and between a couple friends and I we whipped these up in just a few minutes, including making the homemade pizza sauce! I’ll be making “pizza on bun” a lot this summer.
Pizza on Bun:
- Buy sprouted buns or make some homemade buns, butter and lightly toast. I did it under the broiler in the oven – watch it closely! (If you skip this step the sauce will make your buns soggy.)
- Spread a little homemade pizza sauce over the top of each bun (or a buy organic pizza sauce).
- Add any meats or toppings you’d like – I like to cut up ham from our local farmer, but most of my kids like cheese only. (Find sources for healthy meat.)
- Top with mozzarella cheese (I shred a bunch at once with my Bosch and keep baggies full in the freezer).
- Pop them back into the oven or under the broiler until the cheese melts and toppings are hot.
Kids and adults love these, they’re easy, and FAST.
I’m curious, did you like hot lunch as a kid?
If so, what was your favorite meal the lunch ladies made? If not, what did you like to bring for cold lunch? I need to start now gathering new ideas for the kids’ cold lunches for fall!
- Don’t forget you only have a couple more days to sign up for the FREE health & nutrition book giveaway.
- More ideas for fast food dinners (I love having a huge list of these ideas on hand…)
- Where to find quality brands of coconut oil or other items I recommend that are not on my resources page.
- Have you seen all these natural remedies to try?