If you're like me, you've struggled finding a good homemade hot fudge sauce recipe for ice cream. Yes, I know, we shouldn't be eating much of it anyway since it's full of sugar. We don't have it a LOT, but it's a fun treat sometimes. Most at the store have high fructose corn syrup – I was thrilled to have come up with one that tastes so good!
I've had homemade hot fudge before, but any recipes I've ever seen are made with corn syrup. I came up with this recipe totally by accident when I was making organic brownies that start with this chocolate base – I always have to taste-test, it's why I love to cook! We all know that sugar isn't good for us, but the nice thing about this recipe is that it's made with natural sugars that are at least a little better than more refined sugars.
KELLY'S HOMEMADE ORGANIC HOT FUDGE SAUCE RECIPE
- 1 cup butter, pastured butter is best
- 1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup natural sugar, I like palm sugar for this recipe
- 1/4 cup raw honey, or if you don't like the honey taste in recipes, use real maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup cream (heavy cream)
- In medium saucepan, melt 1 c. organic butter
- Stir in cocoa powder, sugar, honey or maple syrup, and sea salt
- Heat slowly and keep stirring until all sugars dissolve, boil gently for a few minutes (without letting it burn), this way it will thicken as it cools.
Stir in vanilla.If it's not as creamy as you'd like, stir in the cream. You'll definitely need to add the cream if you're warming it up later, as a layer of butter will form on the top. Just heat up gently and whisk in the cream.
Makes about 2 cups.
Now, good luck with your self-control!
Remember to either make your own ice cream (fun once in a while), or be sure to buy better quality ice cream, with VERY few ingredients. Important note: we only get plain chocolate, strawberry or vanilla – that's your only chance at finding some with short ingredient labels. Anything else is full of ingredients I can't pronounce and I don't know what most of them are.
Here's my new ice cream maker that I love:
You may need this too:
- Is unpasteurized, raw milk SAFE to drink?
- Have you heard of Weston A. Price?
- Cod liver oil – answers to common questions
- The BEST Homemade Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream