Good morning, reader friends. Soon I'll be sending out another Kitchen Kop newsletter (newly revamped, I might add, by someone who actually knows how to design things like that), and I'll be answering questions there, as always. So will you please email me your questions? Send them to: Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com. Whether it's related to Real Food, blogging, personal questions or whatever, let 'em rip. If I don't have any idea what the answer is (which isn't a rare occurrence), then I've got this cool little thing that I do, called Facebook. I'll post a question on there now and then and WOW, the answers just start flying in from all of you, my super smart readers. It's so fun to watch people help each other like you do. 🙂
Many of the following links today (and every week) are from all of you who are sweet enough to keep a lookout for articles that us Real Foodie weirdos would find interesting. Thank you! If you find one, please email me: Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com.
Here's what's up today:
- This is a well done video on the dangers of chemical exposure: The Toxic Baby. “Filmmaker Penelope Jagessar Chaffer was curious about the chemicals she was exposed to while pregnant: Could they affect her unborn child?” (Thank you Deb for sending this to me.)
- Check out a great article from Raine last week, 8 Reasons I Won’t Shop at Whole Foods When it Opens in Boise, Idaho. Do you shop at Whole Foods? Mostly I shop at local farms and health food stores, and I'll have to rethink this now, but there are a handful of products I do like my sister to pick up for me from WFM three times a year or so, foods that I can't get anywhere else at the same price…
- A reader, Theresa, sent this link to a story about doctors ‘firing' families who won't vaccinate. The article was irritating as it was full of untruths or half-truths. Let's count them, how many can you find?
- Yesterday we were at a restaurant and our 19 year old said: “Mom, do you have to make a ‘butter' scene every where we go?” Of course it wasn't really a scene, I just asked them nicely if they had any real butter and when they said they only have a blend of butter and margarine, I replied, “Really? Margarine is really bad for you…” For Kal, that's a ‘scene'.
- A few different readers sent me a link to this scary article: “The World’s first burger made entirely from laboratory grown test-tube meat could be ready ‘by fall' say the team of Dutch researchers behind the project.” Here's what I want to know: why is someone even paying for this little experiment?! “Brown, who revealed that his research is funded by an American venture capital firm, said he will devote the rest of his life to developing products that mimic meat, but are made entirely from vegetable sources.” Are you wondering what I am? Why not just eat meat from animals raised and fed the way they were meant to be?! Brown also stated, “Animal farming is by far the biggest ongoing global catastrophe.” If he's talking about CAFOs, then yes, he's probably right. But there are other options! Which takes me back to this post, “Are meat-eaters ruining the earth?”
- Here's a blurb unrelated to food… Does anyone else love Vince Flynn books as much as I do? (I'm very behind in the series at the moment. A certain plot twist really ticked me off a few years ago and for a while I vowed I wasn't going to read him again…) Read this interesting post from a reader, Mary, about Vince Flynn and his recent fight with cancer.
Have a great week!