***Please note that there have been some recent concerns about the below product. Please read more at this post, or click here to find out what were taking nowadays. Do some reading and research, and decide for yourself what is best for your family. Thank you.
If you take cod liver oil or eat liver, you've probably heard people say, “The liver is the organ that filters waste, it isn't safe!” Read below and then decide.
- In this post about the amazing nutrition found in organ meats, Maria Atwood discussed some common concerns and the many health benefits of eating liver (be sure to read that post to find out more). The most frequently asked question about liver is about its safety. Some have heard it is toxic because it is the liver's job to neutralize toxins in our body from drugs or other chemicals. However, Maria says that the toxins actually lodge in fatty tissue and in the nervous system, not in the liver.
- In another post with a cod liver oil update from Sally Fallon, she says this about mercury and dioxins in cod liver oil: Cod liver oil is probably one of the cleanest foods in the food supply. All cod liver oil goes through a complete filtering process, and repeated testing has shown that the amounts of mercury and PCBs in cod liver oil are undetectable. See the following link for an article on cod liver oil processing: http://westonaprice.org/modernfood/codliver-manufacture.html. Even without modern processing, mercury in cod liver oil is not a concern because mercury accumulates in the protein portion of fish, not in the oil. In addition, the vitamin A in cod liver oil is our best protection against dioxins. See our article on this subject at http://www.westonaprice.org/envtoxins/dioxins.html. To quote from the article, “. . . vitamin A appears to play a unique role in protecting against the toxicity of dioxins, and has some protective effects that other antioxidants do not have. A large part of vitamin A's protective role is attributable to its antioxidant effect.”
- Wonder why you should take cod liver oil? Read the benefits of cod liver oil
- See the complete index of CLO posts
- What about other toxicity issues?