On Christmas Eve my sister-in-law, Maureen, made this delicious Italian beef recipe in the slow cooker, and what a great meal for a group. She started it the day before and it sat on low while we were all at Mass, and then we came back to the awesome aroma and it was time to eat! I made just a few modifications to her recipe — I didn’t like the ingredients in the ‘zesty Italian’ packet it called for (MSG and other strange chemical preservatives), and because I’m picky like that…
Italian Beef Crock Pot Recipe
- About 3.5pounds beef roast or round steak – best with a bone for the nutrient-dense broth it makes as it cooks!
- 3 cups of water OR if your beef doesn’t have a bone, add in your own homemade broth (we’ve always got some in the freezer), or store-bought broth (preferably organic) with a little extra gelatin from grassfed animals for more nutrients
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 onions, chopped (or dried minced onion)
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped (or dried minced garlic)
- 2 Tablespoons natural sugar
Throw all of the ingredients into a crock pot. My meat was frozen solid when I put it in so it took about 7 hours on high before it was fall-apart tender. You could also cook it on low overnight and through the day for dinner the next day. Just adjust to your schedule.
This feeds a lot, so for a family of 4 you could cut this back at least by half. I like having leftovers.
Serve on your favorite bun if desired, or it’s also good plain or with mashed potatoes.
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.