Did you know that you can make your own “Better Than Bisquick” homemade baking mix to have on hand, so you can quickly make dumplings to throw in a soup or stew, biscuits for “Ala King”, homemade pot pies, strawberry shortcake, or anything you might normally use Bisquick for?
The boxes from the store still had trans-fats last I looked!
- 6 c. flour (I use 1/2 unbleached white flour and half sprouted spelt flour)
- 3 T. aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 T. baking soda
- 3 T. sugar
- 1 T. sea salt
- 1 c. palm oil shortening or any healthy fat, softened
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Add shortening and mix with a whisk or mixer until thoroughly incorporated. It should be fine with only a few small lumps.
- Keep in a sealed container (I keep mine in the freezer). Use it just like you would Bisquick.
- If you’re making biscuits, just add 2 c. milk and shape. More specifics at this biscuit recipe post.
What is your favorite recipe to use homemade baking mix in? I used to have a lot of them, but since we quit using the box of Bisquick, I threw all those recipes out. If you know of any, please share.