Recently a reader emailed with a question about healthy lunches that I was hoping all of you could help with…
Hi Kelly, I've been following your blog for quite a while now and love it. Recently I've returned to work and I'm having trouble coming up with portable lunch ideas. I don't always have access to a way to reheat and often I'm out visiting patients (I'm a home health nurse) so I can't eat like I would in an office, plus I'm not a big fan of sandwiches. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Sarah
Hi Sarah, I do have a few ideas!
- Veggies with homemade dip in a little container.
- Healthy lunch meats (more on that in an upcoming post) and cheese spread with mayo or even better, ancho chili mayo (the very first recipe ever posted on my blog, by the way), rolled up around broccoli or whatever veggies sound good to you. Try this — it's one of my favorites and packs well: Mom's Old-Fashioned Bologna Mix Recipe. (Remember don't get lunch meat from the store, that stuff is scary! Try to find it at a local farm, or get healthy meats here.)
- Crispy nuts plain or in a trail mix with dried fruit.
- Fresh fruits are always good. When you get home from the store or farm market, wash them right away and pop into the fridge so when you’re heading out the door you can just grab and go. (Read How to Avoid Pesticides and Should We Only Eat Produce In-Season?)
- Sprouted crackers and braunschweiger or head cheese – packed with nutrients!
- Homemade Granola Snack.
- Find a bunch more ideas here geared towards kids but still good ideas for you, too.
Will you help us with more lunch-on-the-go ideas?
Thank you! 🙂 Now here are more places to find healthy lunch ideas: