Question from a reader about Healthy Condiment Substitutions: (My reply follows)
As I’ve posted earlier, I’m currently weeding through lots of information and coming up with things I need to find healthy substitutes for. Finding Healthy Condiments Substitutions in general seem to be a big challenge.
One of the things I’ve been looking at is Mayonnaise. I didn’t buy anything I’ve seen at the organic stores because they had soybean oil (ugh), soy lecithin (ugh ugh), or other oils that weren’t good. However, I have found several recipes to “Make Your Own”. There are lots of variations, and I was wondering if anyone had tried any of them? Is it something similar to the recipe I’ve listed below? My big problem is that I haven’t been brave enough to try it yet for one main reason……it uses raw egg, as do all of the “make your own mayo” recipes that I found. Every since raw eggs became taboo I have concerns especially since I’ll be feeding it to a 7 and 8 year old. Again, the one I listed below looked to meet my needs the most minus the use of raw egg.
- So, does anybody have a good argument for why raw egg is not a problem? Another problem is what to store it in? My last problem is how long does it keep?
- Also looking for a good ranch recipe.
- And a good ketchup recipe that’s easy to make. I’ve seen a few but I they all seem to use sugar/splenda/brown sugar instead of something like raw honey.
Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!
P.S. If anyone knows the equivalent substitution for using honey versus sugar/spend/brown sugar it would be helpful.
- When using honey in place of sugars (I've never used Splenda, and wouldn't as it's a fake sweetener), I usually don't replace ALL of the sugar with honey, or it has a very strong honey taste (although it depends on what you're making – you don’t notice it so much with chocolate recipes). I often will replace maybe half the refined sugar with honey, then use organic sugar (only if you have to), maple sugar, palm or coconut sugar, or maple syrup for the other half. The My Dark Secrets post has a ton of info in the comments. (Read more about natural sweeteners and where to buy them.)
- MAYO UPDATE: Try my mayo recipe that I've finally perfected!!! Also: you can store HM mayo in a pint-sized mason/Ball jar. There's a lot more great scoop on mayo in the comments!!
- Read more about raw eggs and safety issues: you don't need to fear them IF you are getting them from a farm that have their chickens out on pasture, and who are not fed any junk. (Hormones, antibiotics, soy, etc.) We eat a LOT of raw eggs here, in our smoothies, our “protein drinks“, our ice cream, etc. They are full of nutrition, especially when uncooked!
- There is a recipe for fermented ketchup (super nutritious) in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, and I've tried making homemade ketchup, too. In this post I answer the question: Is lacto-fermented ketchup worth the trouble?
- Lastly, check out my homemade ranch dressing!
Hope that answers your questions! Be sure to read the comments, as I’m sure my awesome readers will have many more goodies to share.