If you're looking for a healthy broccoli soup recipe, this is one of the best — it's just a basic, simple cream of broccoli soup, but with Parmesan so it's extra dreamy! (It's also a good way to eat up some of your nourishing turkey broth if you're a little sick of traditional turkey leftovers by now!)
I have another post with a twist on this one that you may want to check out: low carb broccoli cheese soup. That one was a guest post from my sister, and it has been one of my most popular posts, believe it or not, and you can see how well-loved it is by all the comments. 🙂 By the way, notice the new picture at that link, and speaking of pictures, check out the one above that I took MYSELF, for real guys!
This recipe was inspired by one of our favorite restaurants: Amore Trattoria Italiana…
Healthy Simple Cream of Broccoli Soup with Parmesan Cheese
- 6 Tablespoons butter, pastured butter is best (read more about healthy fats and how they do NOT cause weight gain)
- 5 Tablespoons flour, I use Einkorn flour or Spelt flour (read about why using alternative grains is a good practice: Gluten Allergy or Wheat Sensitivity?)
- About 3 cups homemade chicken or turkey broth (the amount doesn't have to be exact) — Here's how to make homemade broth and check out the “broth bible” here: Nourishing Broth. Or read my review on the broth book here.
- About 2-3 cups cream (not ultra-pasteurized – read why that's bad here and how you can tell)
- About 8 oz. shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese
- One head of broccoli, cleaned and put through the food processor to get the pieces as small as you'd like — you could also make this with spinach!
- Herbs and seasonings to your taste: Sea salt, pepper, fresh or dried garlic powder, onion powder, fresh or dried oregano, fresh or dried parsley, and anything else that sounds good to you. This recipe doesn't have to be exact at all!
Start by making a white sauce, or roux: Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking and cook for 3 minutes or so. You may need to turn it down so it doesn't burn. Then whisk in the broth and cream, and keep stirring as it thickens. Stir in a handful of the cheese, and then the broccoli. Now it's time to season it and taste-test… If you're using fresh herbs, chop them and toss in along with sea salt, pepper, and whatever else sounds good to you — just start sprinkling the seasonings in, a little at a time if you're new at this, and keep tasting until you get it nice and dreamy-licious. Serve with extra Parmesan on top.
Let me know if you try it!
- Want something really yummy and good for you to dip into your soup? Try this Homemade Sourdough bread — it's the healthiest bread on earth! The post at that link has step-by-step instructions.
- See my sister's low-carb broccoli cheese soup here.
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.