Grated Carrot Salad with Lemon
You’ll love this carrot salad with lemon that gives it a fresh, light taste – it’s so simple but surprisingly delicious. When my friend, Sonia, brought us some to try, I wasn’t expecting to love it so much. It looks pretty blah, but the THREE whole ingredients in this go together perfectly!
I’m just not sure what to call it…
Plain old ‘Grated Carrot Salad with Lemon‘ or ‘Tangy Carrot Salad‘? 🙂
The recipe came from Sonia’s Mom, Sandie, who had this to say:
This is an old favorite from the 40’s when sugar was rationed and and everyone had a garden. My Mom made this a lot in the summer. She was a single mother raising three children and came up with the most nutritious and delicious meals out of nothing. This salad is one of them. I think it is refreshing, light, and not too heavy. If I think of any more I will certainly share them with you. Sure wish I could call her up and ask her, she would have so many recipes that you’d love. Enjoy! 🙂
Tangy Carrot Salad
- 3 pounds of peeled carrots
- Juice from 3 lemons
- 1/4 organic sugar
- Grind up 3# of peeled carrots in the food processor until very small
- Add juice from 3 lemons (not ‘lemon juice concentrate’) and some zest – not too much zest or it makes it bitter (I forgot the zest in mine and it was still yummy.)
- Stir in 1/4 c. organic sugar
That’s it! Let me know if you love it as much as we do.
- Try fermented carrots, we love those too, and they’re even better for you!