Don’t those look good? The only problem is that I couldn’t find organic or local peppers around here yet. I got the idea to make these from an open house I went to recently, and it was SO easy. I started out with brats from our farmer, and what’s even more fun is that he now makes bacon-cheddar brats. They taste just as good as the store-bought cheddar brats that I used to love, much better actually, and with no junk in them!
- Boil brats in a frying pan with a little water in the bottom until they’re cooked through.
- In the meantime mix together the mustard barbecue sauce. In a saucepan add the following and stir ‘til heated well: 1/4 c. mustard, 1/4 c. ketchup (organic or homemade to avoid high fructose corn syrup, 1/8 c. local raw honey, 1/8 c. real maple syrup. These aren’t exact amounts, I just squirted and poured. Taste and see what it needs to get it how you like it.
- Grill brats just long enough to get them hot and full of that yummy grilled flavor.
- Slice brats and put them on skewers with peppers (preferably local and organic).
- Brush with sauce and grill a few more minutes until the peppers are hot. NOTE: For a meal lower in carbs or for picky kids, you could leave some plain and they’re really good this way, too.
These are great by themselves with some fresh veggies on the side, or if you’re not watching your carbs you could serve it with some rice.
- More yummy low carb ideas
- More main dish or side dish ideas
- Part of Pennywise Platter carnival, Finer Things Friday and Simple Lives Thursday
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.