YAY! It's finally time for the farm market again! Saturday was our first one of the season, and I don't even mind getting up with the alarm on a Saturday morning when I know I'll get first pick of the organic/chemical-free produce, and then have my cup of coffee from Frenz afterward, of course.
I even met a neat young couple there, from Earthkeeper Farm, with signs on their table that said, “Sustainable Farm” and “Chemical Free” – they told me everything was harvested THAT morning! What a find! (I always look for those tables first and get all I can there, before moving to the other tables for anything else I need.) They even said I could bring the kids out to their farm anytime, to show them where their food comes from!
I love this time of year!
- Find a local farm market near you!
- Here's the solution I use to wash my produce
- Why eat local, organic, sustainable food? (A lot of information here, including a listing of which produce is the most healthy and least healthy, as well as a link to a site with a chart telling which produce is sprayed with pesticides the most and the least.)
- Check out these side dish recipes – many ideas for what to do with all your farm market produce (you'll have to scroll down through them all until I have a chance to set up an index post)
- Here's why you want to avoid genetically modified produce
photo by iLoveButter