Next in the 2011 Weight Loss & Wellness Adventure, we’ll discuss that dreaded new beginning that we all keep going back to: exercise. I’ll share what’s going on in my own pathetic world of exercise lately, and then we’ll get to the olive oil giveaway.
First, some notes about the Chaffin virgin olive oil from their website:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold centrifuge pressed less than 15 miles from the ranch.
- The Chaffin Mission Olive trees are in many cases older than 100 years, yielding a superior oil. Our oil olives are harvested late in the season when the flavor is mild and buttery rather than sharp and grassy.
- Our trees are hand harvested giving back to the workers as well as producing, clean, undamaged fruit.
- Oil is unfiltered for a full antioxidant profile and stored in a cold, dark environment to maintain quality.
- Our olives are farmed without using chemical fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides.
- We use cover crops and rotations of cattle, goats, sheep and chickens to control vegetation and fertilize the orchards. Goats are used to assist in brush removal and pruning rather than tillage and herbicides. Our olive groves provide valuable irrigated pasture for our cattle herd in the summer. Thus yielding two crops rather than one.
- Oil is pressed within hours of harvest for best taste.
Remember, the giveaway is all about participation, so I have a lot of questions that I’m hoping you’ll answer today about your own exercise story, but first…
My New Years Day Struggle
Ohhhh, how I didn’t want to get out there. Everything in me screamed out my most common excuses for not doing it: “You have way too much other stuff to get done today!” “It’s too cold!” (Substitute “hot” if it’s summer.) I thought it was supposed to stay warm in Michigan through the weekend, but apparently I was a little off, because it ended up being around 30* and was fuh-reezing. That almost kept me in. Also, I was embarrassed. I didn’t want to be “one of those” who heads out on New Years Day and people are thinking, “Oh, there’s a resolution runner…”
But who cares what people think anyway, they’re just jealous that they’re aren’t out there, too, so I did it! I made myself just GO and besides a little knee pain, I felt better after. (Until the next day when my muscles were reminding me, with every step, how long it had been since I ran last.)
Does it really make a difference for weight loss though?
Exercise really isn’t that important when it comes to weight loss, well, not for some people anyway. The first summer that I got into running and was being very consistent with it (three times a week, plus weight training, too), I didn’t lose a single stinkin’ pound. For many (most?), it really is much more about what’s going into our mouths. Now, granted, I only had a few pounds that I needed to lose anyway, and my body was definitely getting toned up, but still, it drove me crazy that I couldn’t see the scales move unless I really stayed away from my beloved grains and sweets, dang it.
For others it does made a difference for weight loss (mostly men I think…?), and for everyone it’s good for our bodies to be moving. Not just for our overall health, but for our mental health, too, and not to mention that it just feels good to look better. Who doesn’t love that?
My Exercise Goals:
So as I mentioned in the first Weight Loss & Wellness post, my goal is to exercise at least two times a week. I’ll switch it up between doing a walk/run, my Zumba class (I start later this week, hope I don’t look like a dork…), playing on the Wii with the kids, walks with friends, and maybe some treadmill walks so I can listen to my new audio book. This spring I can get back on my rollerblades, which is my favorite way to exercise.
Now for the giveaway…
WHAT YOU CAN WIN:
1 Gallon of Olive Oil from Chaffin Family Orchards, $65 Value!
THE TWO THINGS YOU MUST DO TO ENTER:
1. Visit the following link to sign up for the Chaffin Family Orchard’s mailing list:
2. Comment below and answer any or all of the following questions:
- Does exercise help you lose weight, or is it more about what you’re eating?
- What is your favorite way to exercise?
- What is your favorite excuse NOT to exercise and how do you push past it?
- What is your best way to motivate yourself to DO IT?
- What do you listen to while your exercise? (If anything.)
- What are your 2011 exercise goals? (As I said in a previous post, it’s good to get these into writing!)
WANT EXTRA ENTRIES?
If you want extra entries into the giveaway, you can do any of the following, but these are optional. Every comment will be the extra entry, so tell me which of the following you did in a separate comment for each.
- Follow Kitchen Kop or Chaffin Family Orchards on Twitter and Tweet about this post. (I hope you’ll also follow Kitchen Kop or Chaffin Family Orchards on Facebook, but due to FB rules, I can’t give you an extra entry for that one.)
- Follow the Kitchen Kop blog to get updates as they happen, either via email or RSS.
- If you’re a blogger, post a link to this giveaway and tell them about the 2011 Weight Loss & Wellness Adventure.
- Email 5 friends a link to this giveaway and tell them about the 2011 Weight Loss & Wellness Adventure.
- Stumble this post.
WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN THE KITCHEN KOP NEWSLETTER
Good luck everyone, and remember, the winner will be announced in the newsletter only, on January 21st, 2011, so be sure to sign up now! (Enter your email in the box toward the top of the sidebar over on the right, and then click on ‘submit’.)
You have until noon Eastern on Thursday, January 20th, 2011 to comment and sign up. Winners will then be chosen using Random.org. Olive oil can only be shipped within the U.S.
Related posts you might want to check out:
- Go to main 2011 Weight Loss & Wellness Adventure post with links to ALL the posts so far.
- Scroll down through these past posts on exercising if you feel like it.