Last week we had chicken tacos for dinner and normally that’s all we would have, but since my sister and niece were here, I wanted something to go with it and I love this easy homemade Spanish rice recipe.
Easy Homemade Spanish Rice for a Mexican Side Dish
- Melt 2 T. butter with 2 T. olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add 1 c. chopped celery, 1 large chopped onion, and 1 chopped green pepper (I was out of celery and green pepper and it was still good with just the onion.)
- Sauté until tender-crisp.
- Add 1 c. uncooked organic brown rice, stir 1 minute.
Add the following ingredients:
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 1 can organic tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5oz.) organic diced tomatoes, undrained (I use the kind with green chilies and it gives it a nice bite.)
- Any spices you think your family would like (garlic powder, oregano, parsley, and sea salt and pepper of course)
This will look like there’s a lot of liquid, but it will soak up as it bakes.
Bake at 350* in a buttered glass bowl or 9 x 13 glass baking dish for 1 hour or longer, you never know with rice. Allow up to an hour and a half and then if it gets soft sooner, keep it in a warm oven.
Serve as a side dish or Kent loves it inside his tacos or fajitas.
***Add browned ground beef to make into a main dish! (Just brown it in a skillet first, breaking it into small pieces, and stir into the rice mixture.)
This comes out very moist and flavorful! If you have a favorite Spanish rice recipe, let us know how yours is different?
Part of Fight Back Friday!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.