Kent & I make it a priority for all of us to eat together as a family as often as possible. Sadly, it’s not long until our oldest son will be in college, and we want to enjoy our moments to all be together as much as possible until then. But some nights it just doesn’t work. Last night we were running kids around and knew we’d be eating at different times, so I pulled out my crock pots and threw together a couple of easy recipes for a hot meal.
- In my bigger (7 quart) crock-pot I put in a frozen solid big round steak at about 10:00 a.m. and turned it on high. Round steak has a bone in it so I added some water and a splash of vinegar, knowing that it would make a good, healthy broth as it cooked. (Remember to try and find meat from a farm where the animals are out on grass in good weather, they aren’t given any hormones and aren’t fed soymeal or animal byproducts.) I also tossed in some onions, garlic, salt & pepper. (This is similar to some Swiss steak recipes I have, but they call for browning the meat first…not easy to do when I’m starting with frozen round steak!) After cooking all day this comes out tender and flavorful, with some delicious broth you can make into gravy, or we just use it as it is to dip our potatoes into. (Any leftover meat and broth can be made into a vegetable beef soup the next day.)
- That afternoon I peeled, boiled and drained some potatoes (the amount depends on how many you’re feeding, obviously) and mashed them in a crock-pot along with some butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and cream cheese (NOT the low-fat kind). I put it on low since it only needed to keep warm. You could do this in the morning if you weren’t going to be home all day.
- Then just serve some steamed veggies tossed with butter or some fruit with it and you’re done. (You could also make some homemade bread in the breadmaker early in the afternoon, but I didn’t have time that day.)
Easy & fast! I love it when my family can come home to the delicious smell of a home-cooked meal like this one.
- More simple crock pot meals!
- Easy recipes for Hamburger Helper alternatives
- Healthy & tasty waffles/pancakes
- Meatless/Vegetarian/Lenten Meal Ideas
- Have you heard of Weston A. Price?