Do you need new easy appetizer ideas to take to Christmas or New Year’s Eve get-togethers this year? I’ll be posting more holiday appetizer ideas soon, and here’s a list of appetizers I’ve posted so far. This new one is a favorite, and it always goes fast at get-togethers.
Easy Bacon Roll-ups Appetizer
- 1 can of whole water chestnuts, cut in half (I found these with only two ingredients: water chestnuts and water.) I wasn’t sure what water chestnuts were, so I looked it up.
- 1 package of bacon, cut in half – preferably from a farmer you trust who raises animals out on pasture. (Find sources for healthy meat.)
- 1 1/4 cup organic or homemade ketchup
- 1/2 cup palm or coconut sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons fermented soy sauce/Tamari
Wrap a half piece of bacon around water chestnut halves and put a toothpick through it. Place in an ungreased 9×13 baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 375*. Meanwhile, stir the last three ingredients together to make homemade barbecue sauce. Remove roll-ups from the pan and drain the grease out. Dip the roll-ups in sauce and place them back into the pan. Bake another 30 minutes.
NOTE: These are easy to make ahead! You can do everything but the last 30 minutes of baking, and then keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. Just take them wherever you’re going and bake that last 30 minutes so they’re fresh from the oven.
We love these!
Do you want some alternative ideas for what else you can wrap the bacon around? How about small pieces of steak, chicken, hot dogs, meatballs, mushrooms…
What else do you like?