Have you heard of the dangers of fluoride in water?
If you've heard any of the controversy over Fluoride safety, you're probably as confused as I was on whether or not it is safe to drink it in your water or brush with it in your toothpaste. I hope this post will help you figure it all out.
- Did you see this post yet? Dental Fluorosis – Look what I did to our son
- The Great Culling: Your Fluoride Fears are Well-Founded
- Learn more about dental health and healing cavities
- Here are 49 other reasons why water should not be fluoridated.
- Fluoride in water increases risk of thyroid disease by 30%!
I came across a piece of very interesting information recently as I was doing more research for this post. According to the National Cancer Institute, the first city to implement community water fluoridation in the U.S. was right here – Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1945.
“By 1992, more than 60 percent of the U.S. population served by public water systems had access to fluoridated water. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) considers fluoridation of water one of the greatest achievements in public health in the 20th century.”
It's no surprise that I disagree with the CDC on this, too. WARNING: I'm going off topic for a little whining…the fact that one day they'll insist on which vaccines our kids “must” have before they start school – the first shot given to newborns still in the hospital – and the next day one of those very immunizations are pulled from the market for safety concerns…don't get me going! Here are my posts on vaccines and how we made our decisions…
The same plan as always: hear me out, then you decide
The topic of Fluoride safety is just like so many others, there are heated debates from both sides. I'll do what I always do: explain how and why I came to my conclusions, and you can take it from there.
Is Fluoride a good thing?
You don't have to go far to find the many arguments “for” the benefits of Fluoride, to start just ask your doctor or dentist. Recently I spoke to an orthodontist and asked his opinion, I wasn't surprised that he agreed with conventional thinking on the topic. He told me that since this area began community-wide water Fluoridation, tooth decay has decreased significantly. He also said he notices a definite difference in those with well water vs. city water, although he did say some patients come in who drink well water and have teeth that still look great. “They must really brush well”, he said. I asked if he didn't think good nutrition (less refined and processed foods, etc.) might play a role along with genetics. He agreed that both were probably true. (I also asked him if he's heard of Weston Price. He thought the name sounded familiar…a good start anyway.) Most dentists agree that Fluoride can be dangerous in higher amounts and remind us not to swallow our toothpaste, but they say the amount we're getting in our drinking water is at a safe level.
Or is Fluoride a bad thing?
For the opposite side of the debate, ample arguments “against” Fluoride can be found by doing a Google search with the words, “Fluoride safety“. Here you'll read about those who want it taken back out of our drinking water and about the evidence linking Fluoride with many health issues. (Thyroid dysfunction, increase in bone fractures, arthritis, bone cancer, nervous system disorders like Alzheimer's disease and attention deficit disorder-ADD.) ***Read the links below for more information.
The bottom line for our family
Just as the author in this article so clearly stated in his conclusions, it is nearly impossible to figure out who is right. Although dentists aren't convinced of the harm Fluoride can do and feel the benefits outweigh the risks, there is enough evidence for me to seriously doubt its safety. Once again, I had to use my criteria for getting to the truth. I asked, “What is more natural?” Adding something to water that doesn't naturally occur there in the first place doesn't sound natural to me. So here's where we came down on the subject: we got rid of it.
- We use natural Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- We got a new whole-house water system to be sure we weren't drinking Fluoride (or Chlorine) (see sources for where to buy the best kinds that I'd get if I had to do it over)
- We don't get Fluoride rinses at the dentist's office (or x-rays for that matter)
Of course, as you know by now, we try to eat nutritious meals and we brush twice a day – most days anyway! So far no one has had any dental problems (hopefully this continues) and I feel better knowing we're not ingesting something that could be harmful to our bodies. I hope you'll take the time to read a little bit more on the topic below and decide for yourself.
Links to check out:
- Fluoride may trigger depression and weight gain! “Around 15,000 people could be suffering needlessly from thyroid problems because of fluoride in drinking water, the University of Kent has warned.”
- Reuters article on Fluoride safety
- Scroll down at this post for more on Drinking water and Fluoride safety
- I was told this is a great book on the topic: The Fluoride Deception by Christopher Bryson
- Questions on the safety of mixing baby formula with Fluoridated water
- What really causes tooth decay?
- Interesting post on tooth enamel regeneration
- Cure Tooth Decay – Rami Nagel
- Read more about dental health topics including how to heal tooth decay!
- Support the filmmakers and buy their DVD: The Great Culling!
- Fluoride Alert – links are here with research info
- Find water filters here
- Dental Fluorosis – Look what I did to our son
- My Dark Secrets
- Are supplements necessary for good health?
- All sea salts are not the same
- Eating healthy without sacrifices
- Take your cod liver oil!