When I first received this Healthy Chocolate Mousse Recipe from a friend I was skeptical. The ingredients sounded too funky for it to turn out good, but I was feeling brave and hopeful. I'm glad I gave it a shot, it tastes like a rich chocolate pudding…well, just like a chocolate mousse, only this one is actually fairly good for you, especially with the avocados! (My teenager didn't like it, but the other kids and I loved it!)
Crystal's Healthy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 1/2 cup pitted, soft dates
- 3-4 Tablespoons maple syrup (I did more like 6-7 T. until the taste was how I wanted it)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla (I did more like 1 t.)
- 2 1/2 cups mashed avocado (about 3 large)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
Soak the dates in warm water for 20 minutes. Drain the water and blend together with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. (Add cocoa last.) This keeps for several days in the fridge. You could spoon a little over fresh fruit, or it would make a great healthy frosting. The kids and I just ate spoonful after spoonful of it plain. It is so creamy and full of my beloved chocolate! Makes a big soup bowl full.
- Want another chocolate recipe? Try these organic chocolate brownies
- Does fat make you fat?
- Do you have a family favorite meals list yet?
- What's the big deal with high fructose corn syrup?
photo by rexipe