This Chicken Hurry recipe is basically an easy chicken dish with a super flavorful barbecue-type sauce, you'll love it! It came from my friend, Megan's, Mom. I've changed it quite a bit, though, because it originally called for “onion soup mix”, but those packets are full of MSG and other scary mystery ingredients; instead it's so easy to make substitutions! It's so EASY and FAST, though, I knew you would love that, since “busy” seems to describe most of us these days!
Chicken Hurry! Recipe
- Chicken – you can use any chicken pieces you'd like, with or without bones, but I used 2-3 pounds of boneless, skinless thin breasts – try to get them from a farm with chickens out on pasture and not given hormones. If you don't have a good local source, here's where I get healthy meat online.
- 3/4 cup organic ketchup (all non-organic have high fructose corn syrup)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup organic sugar (or honey, or I'll bet maple syrup would be yummy, too.) Where to find natural sweeteners online.
- 2 Tablespoons organic dried onion or chop up 2 fresh onions – if I use fresh, I'll first caramelize the onions in 4 Tablespoons butter — yum!)
- 1-2 Tablespoons organic onion powder and/or garlic powder to taste (click here to find safe, non-irradiated bulk herbs and spices)
Place chicken in a buttered baking pan — I used an 11×14 stainless steel pan. Mix the last 5 ingredients in a bowl and spread over the chicken. Bake at 350* until done. Mine took about 35-40 minutes, but if your pieces are thicker or you are using chicken with bones, it may take longer.
The key to this recipe is cooking the chicken just long enough to make sure it's done, but no longer – then it's still moist and flavorful instead of drying out.
- Books I recommend
- Why everyone should take cod liver oil daily (or the capsules)
- My yummy organic popcorn recipe with coconut oil
- Scroll through more main dish recipes – this one will come up again too, just scroll through to the next ones
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.