You guys are going to LOVE what we had for dinner Saturday! I made my fried fish and homemade pesto recipe only this time I baked the fish (find safe, healthy seafood here) and I used limes instead of lemons, because I wanted to make a cilantro lime brown rice to go with it. (I loooove the cilantro lime rice at Q-Doba and knew it couldn’t be that tricky.) Baking the fish was MUCH easier because you could throw it in the oven and let it bake without having to stand over it. These flavors made us feel like summer is here!
Baked Garlic Fish with Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Organic brown rice or germinated rice — use however much it says on the package for how many you're serving.
- Homemade chicken stock, optional (to use when cooking the rice)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, pastured butter is best.
- Juice from one lime
- 1/2 cup butter
- About 3-5 cloves garlic
- Tilapia or whatever fish you like, 1-2 pieces per person
- 3-4 more limes for extra juices — see instructions
- Sea salt to your taste
- Ingredients to make this pesto
- Extra cilantro, chopped, if desired
- Start the rice — I make mine in homemade chicken stock, but you can use water if that’s all you have (it’s not as nourishing though). Stir in the lime juice and butter. This has to simmer, covered, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan. Mince fresh garlic into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the butter over the top. Lay whatever fish you’d like in the bottom. We used Tilapia. (UPDATE: Please read the comments about whether or not to buy farm-raised Tilapia!) Drizzle more lime juice on top and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 35 minutes at 350*. (This should get done a little before the rice.)
- While those are cooking, make the homemade pesto.
- Also, chop fresh cilantro up small, I used about 2 big handfuls or so. (I threw some in the pesto, too.)
- When the rice is done, add more fresh lime juice and sea salt to taste (I use a LOT: the juice from about 3-4 small limes, plus at least a teaspoon of sea salt), and then add the chopped cilantro and stir it all together.
When everything is done, here’s how to serve it:
- Make a bed of rice on the plate, and place a piece of the fish on top. Using a spoon, drizzle the buttery juices from the bottom of the baking dish over the fish and rice. Add a dollop of pesto. Be ready to oooh and aaaahh. 🙂
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.