Call me a freak, but certain recipes get me really excited. This is one of them! This Egg Drop Soup recipe has a lot going for it:
- Takes FIVE minutes to make
- Tastes wonderful
- All four kids loved it
- It's got ZERO carbs
- It's grain-free/gluten-free
- It can be easily adapted for one person or a big group
- Best of all, it's PACKED with nutrition! (Read about all the nutrition in eggs and bone broth!)
(Want more quick and nourishing meal ideas?)
It's a great day-after-you-make-a-whole-chicken meal since you'll have your broth ready. We had it with asparagus sautéed in some no-flavor coconut oil with some sea salt, pepper & garlic, along with some organic apple slices.
Egg Drop Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6-8 pastured eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-2 green onions, chopped small (I still had some frozen from the farm market last summer!)
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
Make or thaw your chicken broth in a soup pot, as you bring it to a boil, toss in your green onions and the sea salt & pepper. (***The key to this soup being delicious is getting your salt & pepper right! If you nail this part, then everyone will be all over your dinner. All six of us loved it, and I loved knowing all the nutrition they were getting from the chicken broth and eggs.)
Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
Once you have the seasonings how you want them and the broth is boiling, remove it from the heat. You'll need help with the next step. Have one person slowly pour the eggs through a fork into the soup, while the other person whisks the whole time, and keep whisking for another minute after the eggs are all in. (Whisk slowly for bigger pieces of egg, which we prefer, or faster for smaller pieces that are hardly noticeable in the soup.)
Now serve – that's it! Once your broth is done this soup takes no more than 5 MINUTES to make!
Note: I also like to throw in some frozen peas once in a while, try it if your kids won't freak out.
This amount was perfect for our family of six (kids aged 3 to 16), but it was ALL gone, so if you want leftovers, you'll need to make more. 🙂
- Love Chinese food? Here are a bunch more of my Chinese food recipes
- I just remembered that Kristen posted a good recipe for egg drop soup at my fast food blog carnival not long ago – this one isn’t as low-carb, but there’s also a little more to it, and I love some of the differences between her recipe and mine! (Especially her addition of celery, ginger & soy sauce.)
- More egg recipes!
- Best Deals on Coconut Oil
- How the Bosch saves me time!
- Complete index of recipes
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.