Should You Get the Shingles Vaccine?, What Kent Got for Christmas, Skin Cancer Update, and More in Today’s Monday Morning Mix-Up 12/16/2013

December 16, 2013 · 11 comments

Good morning readers, I hope you’re all beginning to feel the Christmas spirit!  I’ve got lots of goodies for you today…

• stationary bikeKent got his Christmas present early, he wanted one of these stationary bikes instead of getting a gym membership for the winter like he has before.  And of course Mr. Self-Discipline has been on it regularly since we got it.
  • Remember I told you about my skin cancer in this post?  Well, I canceled my appointment with the surgeon because I really thought that this cream was working and that it was going away.  (I do think that stuff is good for spots that are new and still small-ish, though.)  But the rotten area under my chin is giving me fits again, grrrr…  So now I’m going to try this black skin salve that others at that post highly recommended.  If that doesn’t work, it’s off to the surgeon after all to get this puppy GONE.
  • time-person-of-the-year-cover-pope-francisI’m going off the normal topics for a minute now, because it’s Monday and because I just want to…  The priest at Mass yesterday gave an awesome homily about what has made many of our past popes great, and how Pope Francis is already showing his greatness in his love for the poor.  This article about why Time Magazine chose him as 2013 Person of the Year is a must-read.  It makes me love him even more.   Get the magazine here.  It also makes me ask God how we should be showing love to the poor…  I’d love to do more, but how does that happen while homeschooling, working full time, keeping up the house, etc. etc.  I’m already not very good at keeping up on everything as it is.  I try to tell myself that there will be a season for all of that later, but still…
  • One thing I’m trying to teach the kids, something that we can do right now, in this season especially, is perform random acts of kindness.  I want them to learn to be aware of people around them who may be hurting and need help of some kind.  I also want to teach them how to do it humbly, preferably without anyone having a clue who it was, which is why I’m not sharing specifics about the fun we’ve had with this!  I loved Kristen’s post a while back, 3 Ways to Practice Radical Kindness When Dining Out.
  • Have you watched any good Christmas movies lately?  Our FAVORITES are Elf and the Home Alone movies.  (Any others we should catch this year?)  And if there are any popcorn freaks on your Christmas list, how about this perfect gift set??

Popcorn gift set

This stainless steel popcorn popper is highly rated on Amazon AND by me, and this GMO Project Verified heirloom popcorn is a special, tiny kernel variety with a thin hull that disintegrates when popped! Be sure to include a healthy fat for cooking it in.  Get the popcorn popper here.  Get the heirloom popcorn here.  Get the coconut oil here.  (Those are affiliate links – thanks for your support reader friends!)  And here is my traditional popcorn recipe and my kettle corn recipe.

• What would you add to this Facebook stream about how the Weston A. Price Foundation has helped you or your family?
  • This one cracked me up on Facebook last week – a Christmas card fiasco.  :)

Christmas card fiasco

• And now, for an awesome, inspiring, heartwarming video — you’ll love this one!  (Thanks Jill for sharing it with me!)

• RealFoodWednesdaysI’ll see you here later this week for Real Food Wednesday! (Did you know that participating is a great way to get more traffic to your blog OR to learn more about Real Food and get some great new recipes, too?!)

1 Lori Alexander December 16, 2013 at 8:57 am

The black salve will work! I have been using it for many, many years on skin cancer, warts, and moles and it has worked on every single one. If I have something suspicious and put the black salve on it and nothing happens, it means it is nothing. I LOVE black salve! I think I have posted my post about it here before but I will again in case I have not!

2 Adrienne @ Whole New Mom December 16, 2013 at 9:02 am

Hi Kelly. Have you tried Frankincense oil on that spot? hubby had a suspicious one and that’s what I did. huge changes every day. hope that is helpful.

3 KitchenKop December 16, 2013 at 9:20 am

Hi Adrienne,

Yes, I have, but not as consistently as the other cream. Maybe I’ll give that a go before my black salve gets here.

Thanks!

4 Melanie December 16, 2013 at 9:29 am

I think visiting the nursing home maybe once a month with your children would be a great service “project” that can be done together. I homeschool also and this season is hard to serve by ourselves, so I thought the nursing home is something we could do as a family. Hopefully we will be going soon.
    Melanie B

5 jmr December 16, 2013 at 10:03 am

I love Monday Morning Mix-up. The NY Times may have admitted raw milk has some benefits, but I woke up this morning to the local news in L.A. reporting how dangerous it is and a warning not to drink it.

I love Elf. I saw Black Nativity last week. Most of the reviews said it was evangelical and sappy (negatives to reviewers) but those sounded like positives in a Christmas movie to me. I loved it and am telling everyone I know to go see it. Yes, it was sappy and had a happy ending, but it told a wonderful Christmas message of love, forgiveness and hope, and it had good music. I’ll probably buy the dvd and watch it every Christmas.

6 KitchenKop December 16, 2013 at 10:11 am

I just watched the trailer, that DOES look good!!!

7 Linda T. December 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Another Christmas movie suggestion: We really like a movie that was actually a Hallmark TV movie called Silent Night with Linda Hamilton. It takes place during World War II in Germany. We all think it is an excellent movie. You may want to check it out.

8 robinakagoatmom December 16, 2013 at 7:20 pm

As a RN and a firm believer in natural health I have to comment on your basal cell cancer. I looked back to the original post and my first concern is your light approach to basal cell cancer. Yes, typically it is far more benign than melanoma; but it doesn’t always behave!! Sometimes it grows aggressively and is very invasive and can even become inoperable and ultimately fatal. Sometimes it shows little on the surface and grows inward. My husband had just such an occurrence and recently had 3 reconstructive surgeries to make him a new nose. The basal cell cancer was in a location he had a previous cancer removed 23 years ago and actually the Dr. did not pick up any change in the area. We do self checks and check each other and I’m not totally sure what lead us to say “were a bit concerned here” but I’m giving God the credit. If we had not found this now likely he would have died a painful death in just a few years. I’ve had 2 patients over my career who dies of invasive basal cell cancer both on the head.

9 KitchenKop December 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm

OK, I hear you. I’ll for sure get it taken care of early next year if I don’t see some definite improvement with the salve. Thanks for caring!! :)

10 ulla January 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Have you started the black salve yet? If so, is it working? I have heard great things about Curaderm BEC5 too.