Scumbags in the State of Michigan {A Baker Farm Update and Actual Good News!}

December 27, 2013 · 36 comments

Bakers Green Acres

The state I live in sure makes my blood boil at times.  The state of Michigan has pulled some fast ones recently, and while it may hopefully turn out OK for the Bakers, there are still major ramifications for the rest of us…

Here’s the scoop:

In the video below, Mark Baker gives an update on his farm and their case.  (My more recent update will follow.)  As a quick recap, the DNR has been trying to force him to get rid of his “feral” pigs for over two years now, even though they’re kept inside a fence.  So Mark has sued the State of Michigan, and rightly so, as they’re trying to shut down his business for no good reason.  A bunch of us went to his hearing up North back in June.  Lo and behold, the judge actually had some common sense and the Bakers felt like they’d get a fair shake when the case went to trial.  SO what did the state do?  They pushed through a new law, Senate bill 652, that says that any case against the state would now have to be heard in Lansing, with a judge that gets a paycheck from the state that they are sueing, so they don’t feel like they’ll get a fair shake.  (Can you believe that bull, how unconstitutional does that sound to you?)

To make matters worse, it turns out that those who voted the bill through didn’t even read it.  As a matter of fact, Mark got an angry call recently from Michigan Representative Tim Kelly who said Mark just didn’t understand SB652, so Mark asked if they could meet for lunch.  He said he was an arrogant man, who after a lengthy conversation admitted he hadn’t actually read the bill either!

“This is going to be our third Christmas at odds with our state and it’s not good.  This puts me at square-one again.”

Hear the whole pathetic story in this video (where Mark calls certain people in our fine state, ‘Scumbags’), and further below I’ll share a newer update with GOOD NEWS for the Bakers, with more information on what we can DO about all of this!

A GOOD News Update!

There has been an enormous amount of pressure put on lawmakers since SB652 was slipped through, so in a phone call with Mark he told me that there has been a house bill created, HB 5156, which says that any case in circuit court on or before November 12th will stay in circuit court.

This is great news for the Bakers, because now the judge from their home town, the one with commonsense, will preside over their case after all!   (At the same place their hearing was in June; March 11-14th as of now, but the State keeps asking for extensions.)  Mark says about this judge, “I know where his house is, he knows people I know.  Our system is a good one, it’s set up this way because we’re supposed to be a self-governing body.

The NOT so good news…

The crappy part of this, though, is that while the Bakers now have a good chance of winning their case against the state, the rest of us are screwed if ever we need to sue the state for whatever reason.  (You never know what life will throw at you.)  As stated above, SB652 says that ANY case against the state has to go to trial in Lansing.  So again, what it boils down to is that the judge presiding over your case will be getting a salary from the very people (the state of Michigan) that you are sueing!!!

What we can DO:

They put Senate bill 652 into law in 12 days, I think they can repeal it in 12 days, what do you think?

We need to continue to raise a ruckus about SB652.  Ask that they repeal this unconstitutional bill!

1 Grace December 27, 2013 at 7:38 am

Calling, emails, and letters all make statements! If you do that, your reps will know what their constituents want.
    Each person really makes a difference!

2 Kat December 27, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Our government is out of control! Our leaders are arrogant, ignorant thieves stealing from us, we the people who voted for them and pay their wages are tired of their evil ways. We cannot allow ourselves to stoop to their levels of ignorance, we must be INFORMED citizens, we HAVE TO read before we act or we will come across just as stupid as they are, so please BEFORE you call or write, READ THE BILL, KNOW what you are talking about first and foremost – please!

3 Chris Peck December 28, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I am an outsider, from a completely different environment than MI. That said, this underscores the need to know as much as you can about every person you vote into office because once they get elected many forget those who got them there. As someone who tries to buy only locally sourced food and meats I do hope you prevail.

4 Margaret December 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I wonder what Lt. Gov. Calley would have to say about this. He is from a farming community, married to a woman who grew up on a small farm. Seems like he should be an ally to small farmers in this fight.

5 Jeanmarie December 29, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I’m happy in the short term for Mark and his family, but like you, my blood boils at the arrogance and connivery of elected officials. They have forgotten who they are supposed to serve! It’s the same in California, from my experience. We little people need to stick together and raise a ruckus over every damn dumb thing they try to do to us!

6 Lindsay December 30, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Kelly, it’s beneath you to call names. “Scumbags”? How undignified. If they are doing wrong, explain their actions and let the facts speak for themselves. Treat others — even those you don’t agree with — as you would wish to be treated. — Lindsay

7 KitchenKop December 31, 2013 at 10:20 am

Lindsay,
    Did you watch the video? I was quoting Mark.

8 Lindsay December 31, 2013 at 9:38 pm

No, the bad first impression was already made. None of the words in the headline was in quotation marks, so therefore, they are *your* words.
    But, if a quote, why would you want to quote someone who speaks so disrespectfully? Kelly, you are terrific at teaching those of us who’ve been mired in bad health habits! Please don’t sink to shaming and name-calling. I’m sure you know this great old recipe: You catch more flies with honey :-)
    ~*~ Lindsay

9 KitchenKop January 1, 2014 at 3:54 pm

In this case I’m ok with it, because if that name in the title gets the attention of readers who then make phone calls to our elected officials who are NOT serving us well, then the post succeeded in what I meant for it to do!

10 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I am tired of whitewashing reality. I recently commented on my facebook (without sugarcoating or nicey nice) about current activity from Paul Offit, the current mouthpiece against all things holistic/alternative and the guy who said recently that infants can withstand ten thousand innoculations…. (I guess Stephen Barrett didn’t work out with all the lawsuits) . I called his rant against using herbs “another creepy venue”. All too often Facebook has become the a place for the mini world of personal image management, from those who post, and I certainly find my posts showing the shadow side of life get a bit less coverage, and nobody dares to “like” them or share their opinions. And yes, that is a good thing if someone actually has an opinion. https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Naturopaths-Association/156499557742007

11 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 4:12 pm

If the shoe fits…. “Scumbags” might be insulting to actual scum, though. :-)

12 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 4:15 pm

So I just read the piece and you quote Mark Baker, you never call them scumbags. Mr. Baker has every reason to vent with a little namecalling. I always appreciate an honest opinion. I do think that when trying to make a point to others, it’s best to refrain from certain language – otherwise the message can get lost…

13 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm

You have every right to compare politicians to scumbags. Just as others claim the right to refer to Tea party people as Tea baggers. Being P.C. is all in the perspective of the beholder. You need to ask your self if referring to them as Scumbags is fare to all the non political scumbags out there. After all that is putting all scumbags at the lowest of possible lows.

14 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I don’t think it’s the worst thing, but it is name-calling if you refer to a specific person or group of people, and that is lowering ourselves and weakening our position/argument. It’s better to use clear reasoning to defeat the scumbags of the world. However, the bad things they do are way more destructive than name-calling.

15 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Freedom of speech.

16 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 5:00 pm

It’s a lot nicer than what I would call them!!

17 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Kelly, it’s right on target. It’s sickening what Bakers are going through. What about the OTHERS who we haven’t heard of who caved and folded? There’s always a money trail. No one is asking: where did this cockamamie rule about feral pigs come from anyway????

It’s all lobbying $$. What about the law quickly enacted to move lawsuits to the state capitol? How did THAT get passed through so quickly and why??? No one questions…
    There are so few really pressing matters in Michigan besides ‘feral’ pigs and law suits against the state? What about bailing out Detroit? Should that be a priority????

If the pigs are ‘dangerous’ as in possibly aggressive, why can’t their meat be consumed? Why must the carcasses be burned and not even given to the owners’ dogs as food? If the Bakers want to feed their dogs dead ‘wild’ animals, who cares? WHO IS THE STATE AG DEPT (DNR) to dictate such ridiculousness??? WHO is the driving force behind this?

Hope this was considered kind. It’s the SHEEP who are allowing this to happen.

18 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I am a firm believer in calling “a spade, a spade” and that is NOT a racial comment but simply saying it is what it is! I am from a different generation and that is an old saying of ours. I agree with Mary Light…. I am tired of the whitewashing and the “politically correct” way of saying things. Truth is truth.

19 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 5:15 pm

And I applaud you Kelly for supporting Mark Baker through his trials on your site to inform those of us around the country who otherwise wouldn’t hear updates about it…

20 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 5:34 pm

they’re scumbags at the least

21 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Some people haven’t been able to separate respect for the position, but not the person in it. The truth is getting harder for some to hear, mostly because it calls their own attitude and actions into account.

22 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Say what you want. It’s still a free country.

23 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I don’t think name calling helps anything.

24 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Elizabeth Bivens, I don’t see any major reason to respect bureaucratic positions, either. Most of the positions could be eliminated in their entirety, and it would be a net gain for the freedom of individual Americans (regardless of what most bureaucratic agencies are supposed to be doing, what they ACTUALLY do is to serve the interests of exactly those big businesses they are supposed to be regulating–except for those agencies meant to restrict and tax people in the first place. Those are busy doing doing that)

25 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Personally, I thought Scumbag was kind.

26 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm

What comes from you, says everything about you, not the target …… I think when you have respect for life, along with morals and ethics, it is necessary to be respectful despite circumstances…

27 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 1, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Scumbag I’d too good. How about “prostitutes for corporations.

28 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 2, 2014 at 12:36 am

the truth and hence scumbags are defined different in different times of evolution and understanding. In our modern world of marketing and advertising many if not most people loose their ability to judge right from wrong (based on misrepresentation). I believe we are in a stage of human evolution where we are separating into two different arms of development. 1) the natural down to earth (literally) movement which believes in the power of the earth and 2) the artificially developed human that believes in anything artificial. Both might have a place in evolution. The purist who stay behind and might survive on their own and the 2) Technocrats who embraced technology and development above all else and (might) conquer the start to let the human race survive. Which one we will belong to, will depend on the time of our lifespan and choice of upbringing. Good luck

29 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 2, 2014 at 8:37 am

I think call them what ever you feel they are… free speech baby….

30 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 2, 2014 at 11:18 am

If the shoe/description/etc fits…hum sorta like the ungreased wheel…huh?

31 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 2, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I understand that everyone has their right to their own opinion & I agree that whitewashing is totally wrong. I come from the point of view that God has called us to give honor to all people, not their political mistakes. So while I don’t like what they do I have a mandate to pray for all in authority, not judge, but to love regardless. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be called on the things they do, but it should be done in an appropriate manner & not mealy mouthed, skirting the issues. But respectful & firmly. I am not trying to please anyone but my Lord in this stand. Thank you.

32 Heather McDougall January 2, 2014 at 2:40 pm

If we allow the State of Michigan to put Mark Baker out of business, we will no longer have access to locally grown pastured pork. They will put every single small pasture based pork farmer out of business in our state. What’s next? Pastured poultry? Eggs from free range hens? Grass fed beef? We have to make a stand now! Call your state rep and tell them that we are watching this case. Make plans now to come be physically present at the heading in March. Then call Governor Snyder and give him hell! (517) 373-3400. Tell him who he is pissing off- every single mom who cares what about what her children eat.

33 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm

The Lord so cherishes freedom that He gave us free will. I highly doubt that when Jesus overturned the merchants tables in the temple he was saying “pardon me.” When anger and harsh words are called for, we need to use them for the highest purpose. Our freedom is being trampled by our government. It is up to us to hold our governments feet to the fire and raising awareness is one way of doing that. Keep on fighting the good fight, Kelly! I will see you outside the courthouse in March!

34 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 2, 2014 at 8:22 pm

How about : “They used to be arrogant and obnoxious. Now they are the opposite. Obnoxious and arrogant.”

35 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 2, 2014 at 8:23 pm

“Their ignorance is encyclopedic.”

36 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook January 2, 2014 at 8:25 pm

To call them scumbags is an insult to scumbags. ;-)