Cool Stuff! Expo West Favorites – Part 2

March 27, 2012 · 14 comments

The other day I told you about my trip to California, and I shared some of my favorites here:  Cool Stuff from Expo West — Part 1.  Today I want to show you some MORE of the cool stuff we saw at Expo West, the largest natural products/organic food show in the world.

My Expo West favorites, part 2…

• One of my very favorite “goodies” to bring home from the expo was this little USB essential oil diffuser from Florame.  (You can ‘like’ their FB page at that link, so you’ll know when it’s available in the U.S.)  The lavender oil that came with it has been such a nice, relaxing treat as I work at my computer!  Ann Marie & I enjoyed chatting with these two guys, who are brothers.  :)

• As you know, I’m learning more and more lately about essential oils and homeopathy after a lifetime of being stuck in the conventional ways of doing things.  So at Expo I loved meeting the people from Boiron and learning more about this solid company.  I’ve found their products at my local Meijer, but you could also order online.  For those of us who are still ignorant about homeopathic remedies, finding these products is such a relief because you just read the box!  “Take at the first sign of flu symptoms” (Oscillococcinum), or “allergy symptom relief”, etc.
  • If you’ve been reading my blog for very long, you know that I’m not one to promote boxed foods.  I still wouldn’t tell you to buy them if you can help it, but sometimes we can’t help it, and instead of reaching for the phone to call for take-out pizza (something we still do from time to time), this product would be a better choice because of how they’re made:  Blakes frozen dinners.  (Where to find Blakes meals.)  I sampled one and loved how the chicken hunks weren’t in perfect factory cut pieces, because he said they actually pull the meat off of the bone.  The broth is real bone broth, no bouillon cubes or MSG!  Doesn’t this one look interesting?  I guess this meal is popular in the South…

• We met the founder of Rapunzel at ExpoWest. He was super nice. We asked about the Rapunzel brand sugar called Rapadura which we haven’t seen on the shelves for a while.  Apparently they thought the brand name was confusing, so they changed it and started calling it “whole cane sugar”. We told them that we liked the Rapadura name, because we knew what it was. They said they’ve heard the same thing from their other customers — and it sounds like the name Rapadura might be coming back. Stay tuned!   (p.s.  Find more Rapunzel products here.)
  • It was fun to see Tru Roots there, since I often buy their germinated rice and love it!  They have other great stuff, too, like pasta, sprouted quinoa, sprouted lentils, etc.  It’s nice not to have to worry about soaking for those times (all the time!) when I forget to start thinking about dinner earlier in the day.

Do you use any of these products?  Let us know what you think!  :)

Photos are from Cheeseslave.

1 Maryjane March 27, 2012 at 7:22 am

No wonder I couldn’t find “Rapadura”! (I’m relatively new to this “Traditional Foods” thing.)
    Can’t wait for the Florame! How long does the smell last (for a drop or two)?

2 Kelly the Kitchen Kop March 27, 2012 at 8:58 am

The scent keeps ‘poofing’ out every so often of the little thing that plugs into your USB, it’s awesome!

3 Linda March 27, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hi Kelly, I have a question. I looked at part one where you listed Izzy soda as a healthy option. I looked at the ingredients and it says natural flavor. I get suspicious of “natural flavor” because I read somewhere it may not be natural at all. What do you think?

4 Kelly the Kitchen Kop March 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hi Linda,

I looked on their site and the FAQ’s didn’t really answer that well, so I called them. Mostly it’s “proprietory info”, which is understandable, but here’s what she did say…

There are no chemical or factory made flavorings, because if so the government wouldn’t allow them to call it “all-natural”. There is no genetically modified anything in them. Their flavors are all essences or extracts that are plant derived: from berries, fruits, or vegetables.

Hope that helps!

5 Linda March 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm

That’s a big help. I appreciate that you took the time to call them to find out.

6 Dori @ Nourishing Foodways March 27, 2012 at 11:54 am

I had someone ask me about Rapadura about a week ago – she couldn’t find it on AzureStandard.com – I did tell her to look for whole cane sugar…but this explains it! Thanks Kelly!
    Best,
    Dori

7 Lillian March 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I use the Rapunzel sugar for my water kefir and the grains just LOVE it. I also use it a little in baking. I used to use organic sucanat but like the Rapunzel sugar much better. I buy it in bulk from amazon, but I’ve also seen it at Whole Foods.

8 Katie March 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I’m going to look for Blake’s meals! Not for every day, but there are times when I get stuck at work until 8:00 or 9:00pm, and I have nothing prepared, and I find myself eating the most unhealthy at those times.. like I use it as an excuse or something! A couple weeks ago…. I even stopped at Arby’s! Eeeekk! It would be so nice, for those times, knowing that I have a delicious “healthier” alternative to pizza or fast food, waiting in the freezer!

Also, I use Tru Roots sprouted lentils. I make a batch of soup every week (using homemade chicken stock from local, pastured, organic, soy-free chickens, and lots of organic veggies) and I often add some of the lentils for a little protein kick when I’m not using the chicken meat.

I have seen the germinated rice at Whole Foods and have often thought about buying it, since I usually eat rice one per week or so, when I make fish. What’s the deal with germinated rice? Is it better than regular rice?

Is “Rapadura” the same as just regular organic cane sugar, for example, the Wholesome Sweeteners brand of organic sugar?

9 Kelly the Kitchen Kop March 27, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Hi Katie,

Yes, the stuff the guy in the picture is holding, that’s the same as Rapadura right now, unless they change the name back.

Here’s more scoop on germinated rice: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/07/germinated-rice-organic-chicken.html

Kelly p.s. Good plan on using Blakes to avoid fast food!!! :)

10 Katie March 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thanks for the link! I never even knew you could sprout rice! I’ll definitely be switching to the germinated rice from now on!

11 THollis March 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Kelly, It’s great to know there’s a kindred spirit encouraging preparation of traditional foods for families! I have nominated you for the 7×7 Link Award! Can’t wait to try the USB essential oil diffuser! What a great idea!

12 Jeanmarie March 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I’ve tried Blake’s chicken pot pies. They’re good! Still, I can’t afford to buy much boxed food anyway so we just cook for ourselves.

13 Julie March 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I have tried just recently, the Tru-Roots sprouted legumes. I found them at my Costco and thought it would be an interesting product to try. I found that they need more cooking than what is mentioned on the package, but they are still tasty and a good addition to the pantry.

14 KitchenKop March 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I’ve actually found the same thing with their sprouted/germinated rice!