Fermented Cod Liver Oil Series – Part 3: Where to Buy Fermented Cod Liver Oil

October 9, 2008 · 42 comments

SKIP THE INFO AND BUY THE FERMENTED COD LIVER OIL (Scroll down at this link to where it says, “Green Pasture.”)

Part 1: Why is the fermented cod liver oil even better nutritionally than the regular cod liver oil?

Part 2: What are the taste differences? How MUCH should you take? What about butter oil?

(Or see the complete index of posts about CLO)

WHAT ARE THE PRICE DIFFERENCES?

There’s not much price difference between the regular Blue Ice CLO (that I used to recommend) and fermented CLO liquid, when you take into account the daily serving size difference.

However, there is quite a difference in the price of the capsules, so it might be worth trying to get the liquid down (I’m going to make an attempt).

Just to show you the approximate cost difference in the liquid vs. the capsules, I’ll show you a comparison using prices (current at the time I wrote this) for 1 bottle of liquid (237 dose) vs. 120 capsules (60 dose), although keep in mind, you can get it cheaper the more you buy. The liquid costs 20 cents per dose; the capsules cost 64 cents per dose!

WHERE TO BUY FERMENTED COD LIVER OIL

(I’ll be paid a small amount when you click to buy through this link – and I thank you!)

ONE LAST NOTE:

When you get your Fermented Cod Liver Oil, you’ll notice that the dosage recommendations are lower than what the Weston A. Price recommended doses page says you should take. Normally I would then just increase my dose, but in this case I will only take what is recommended on the bottle for two reasons:

1. The expense!
  2. Dave at Green Pastures said that the amounts of Vitamin A & D on the label are just the minimum guaranteed amounts, because they have to put something on the label; however, there is actually much more A & D, even more than in regular CLO, (what a superfood!) but it is still always safe, because it is how God provided it in nature. The Fermented Cod Liver Oil is natural, and not easy to pin down on amounts of beneficial nutrients, because it is a living food and difficult to test.

***Check out the comments in part one for more specifics on this topic from a reader in the comments.  :)

1 theMom October 10, 2008 at 8:42 am

Hello Kelly, I so enjoy reading your blog!

I understand of course, that you are not a nutritional consultant, but I am going to take my chances and consult you anyway.

How does one tell from a given description of CLO how it is processed and what the amounts of the nutrients signify. What are the “catch phrases” to look for or to avoid while shopping.

I order monthly from Azure Standard http://www.azurestandard.com/ through a local group of families. So this was the first place I looked for CLO. They carry three different ones all by a company called Twin Lab.

The description of the unflavored Norwegian Cod Liver Oil http://www.azurestandard.com/product.php?id=NS016 and how it is processed sounds very natural and whole. (The flavored and softgels have a few other things in them. The amounts per recommended serving are not a whole lot different than the ones listed in your blog or on the Weston A. Price site. But the cost per dose seems to be substantially less.

Aught the price difference alone serve as a deterrent?

Thanks, Mary

2 Kim February 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I decided to try the butter oil/fermented clo mix. Don’t! It looks like sledge and smells like fish bait. There is NO WAY I can put this to my mouth. You cannot put it in a syringe and squirt it into your mouth. It’s nasty. I’m sick of the waste of $53. I need the clo to help fight depression and winter blues. Now I’ve got to order more and wait for the long delivery time (it took over two weeks to get to me from Green Pastures).

3 KitchenKop February 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Kim,
    I hope you’ll contact Dave as I’m sure he would like to hear your concerns (about taste AND deliver time)! My family didn’t go for the combo either, but I now lots of families who take it with no problem. I wonder why it took so long to get to you? Was it back-ordered for a bit? Mine comes in less than a week generally. Sorry for your trouble!

4 Kim February 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Didn’t mean that previous post to be a reply, but rather this one: You can order Green Pastures from Azure, but it’s not on their website. You have to put it in the “special instructions” section of your online order. However, this has only worked randomly for me-sometimes I get it and sometimes I don’t. They say they’re working to improve that, but so far they haven’t.

5 Kelly the Kitchen Kop October 10, 2008 at 10:19 am

Hi Mary,

I’ve just done a little research and I don’t think that’s a good brand, but let me do some more digging and I’ll get back with you soon.

Thanks for asking, so I can learn more now, too!

6 Kelly the Kitchen Kop October 13, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Mary,

Just wanted to ask you to be patient, in checking this out, I’ve been led to even more things I need to research now, so I’m waiting for return phone calls, etc., it may be a while before I have an answer. Just wanted to update you.

Thanks,

7 theMom October 13, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Thanks for all your work, Kelly.
    Mary

8 Kelly the Kitchen Kop October 23, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Hi again Mary,

What a can of worms! OK, I found out something specifically about Azure Standard’s CLO that would deter me from taking that brand: in each capsule there is also soybean oil – personally, that’s not something I want more of in my diet – I try to avoid it when I can.

However, Monday I am putting up a post with some very important information that I was led to when checking into that brand for you…stay tuned!

9 Donna January 4, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Kelly,
    I listen to Dr. Asa Andrew from time to time on the radio.
    He said not to take capsules because they can actually turn into trans fat due to the way they are processed. Have you read anything about that?

10 Kelly January 4, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Hi Donna,

No, I haven’t heard that, but I do know that there was intense research that went into the making of these fermented CLO capsules.

The GreenPasture.org website says this: “We have gone through great expense and effort to provide these products in a special ‘non-gelatin’ two part capsule. This special encapsulating process is done without heat or chemicals (unlike gelatin capsules).”

Maybe it was the gelatin capsules that Dr. Andrew was referring to?

Have a good week!

11 Michelle January 20, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Kelly, question for you. I’ve been trying to see if you have suggestions on brands for CLO like you do for CO. My son has begun taking CLO (at 5) and currently takes the Nordic Naturals ProOmega Junior. Now you have me concerned that I’m doing him more harm than good… any thoughts on this one?

12 Kelly January 20, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Hi Michelle, I’d switch him to the fermented CLO – it’s the most safe and natural. I don’t know if the one you mentioned even has vitamins A & D (very important) and if so, they may be synthetic (harmful).

13 Annette March 5, 2009 at 2:58 am

I was down with the whole fermented CLO thing and then I saw the prices – you say the dose is smaller though. What is the dose? Trying to see if this fits into our budget. I am giving my littlest guy little strawberry pearls and my older one gets lemon flavored oil (can’t remember the brands now) but sounds like I am wasting my money on those! I love this blog – having a hard time navigating into NT with all the other food changes we have going on in our household (no more processed foods = me in the kitchen A LOT).

Annette

14 Kelly March 6, 2009 at 9:31 am

Hi Annette, I know how overwhelming all this can be! (Did you see my post about that? Look on the right under “overwhelmed”.)

The dose on the bottle says 1ml (just less than 1/4 t.), but we take a little more than that daily.

15 Annette March 6, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I like that we would be taking smaller amounts too – it would make it easier to get down or hide in a smoothie or applesauce!

Annette

16 Michelle March 12, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Kelly,

I’ve been lurking for a while, but just wanted to let you know that Green Pastures Cinnamon FCLO is on sale right now, no matter how many you order.

I want to get some, but I don’t know how many bottles to get since I’ve never had it before. Should I just try the one, to see if me and my son will take it, or should I get more since it’s such a steal? Do you have any idea how long will an unopened bottle stay good? Or does something like this never go bad?

I’d appreciate any input! Thanks,

Michelle

17 Kelly March 12, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Hi Michelle, thanks for the great scoop on the FCLO!!

I don’t know how long it would last, but I would guess quite a while – you could check with Green Pastures – if you find out, let us know!

Thanks, Kelly

18 Kelly March 12, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Michelle, when checking out those sale prices, I just found this update on their CLO that said you shouldn’t keep it over 6 months to preserve freshness:

19 JK April 23, 2009 at 2:28 am

Hi Kelly
    I live in a place where it is sunny throughout the year. My kids (below 10 yo) don’t sun tan. However they go out quite often.
    Should we still supplement with clo?
    What is the dosage of fermented clo for kids that young?
    Tks!
    JK

20 Kelly April 25, 2009 at 8:58 am

JK, you could have your vitamin D checked to be sure, but my first inclination is to say YES, because there are so many other nutrients in the CLO, especially the fermented.
    I give our kids a 1/4 t. daily. :)

21 mitchell June 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm

hi, kelly

i read where you give your children 1/4 tsp of FCLO daily. What are there ages? and do you give them grassfed cow’s butter to prevent tooth decay? If so have you ever noticed any signs of Flourosis prior to these supplements? and how about now? i have two sons 4 and 6. Your professional observations would be of great help to me . Thanks.

22 Kelly June 19, 2009 at 10:31 am

Hi Mitchell,

These won’t be “professional observations”, but I’ll do my best!

I give 1/4 t. to all our younger ages (4, 7, 10) and yes, they get lots of butter, grass-fed raw milk/cream.

The only Fluorosis (discolored teeth) in our kids is in our oldest (16), and I’m convinced this is from the liquid Fluoride our doctor said he needed as a baby…his teeth are still discolored now and it makes me so angry when I think about it. None of the other kids have it at all.

Hope that helps,

23 Ann October 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm

What about flavors? (http://shop.gapsdiet.com/category.sc?categoryId=2) Do kids take those better?

24 KitchenKop October 29, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Hi Ann,

I can only tell you about my kids, and otherwise, I’m sure it varies from kid to kid.

2 of our kids won’t go near the liquid and choose instead to swallow the capsules. The other 2 open right up. We used to take mint flavor, but when fermented came out there was no mint offered (there is again now), so we got the cinnamon – it took a few chocolate chip bribes, but now they take that fine, too.

25 jj March 25, 2010 at 12:07 am

hi,
    im looking into getting fermented fish oil and high vitamin butter oil. i saw that fermented skate liver oil has all of the nutrieents in fclo plus valuable nutrients found in shark oil such as squalene and alkoxyglycerols. but i have 2 questions.
    1. is blue ice the best brand for fermented fish oil?
    2. does fermented skate liver oil have the same synergistic benefits with butter oil as FCLO? because this is one of the main reasons for me buying these supplements.

26 KitchenKop March 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

Hi JJ,

The answer to #1 is yes, without a doubt.

For #2 I’d guess that the answer is yes, but to be sure you’ll need to contact Dave at Green Pastures. Sorry I’m not more help!

27 jj March 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm

i just sent a message to green pasture asking about the skate liver oil. ill post his answer

28 Stephanie April 28, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I have eczema and I went to a local natural health food store and they told me that cod liver oil is good for eczema. I was wondering if that is true and also is it safe for me to take cod liver oil while I am breastfeeding?

29 Sustainable Eats April 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Hi Stephanie, not to hijak Kelly’s blog but I am inthe breastfeeding space professionally so I wanted to reply. CLO is an excellent esential fatty acid and so it’s great for eczema and many other health conditions. Your baby needs more EFA for good brain development – just be sure your source is free of heavy metals! Green Pasture’s is checked for this and the highest quality CLO that I know of. It’s what I give my family, including my small children.

30 KitchenKop April 29, 2010 at 1:12 am

Yay Annette, hijack my blog ANY day!
    Stephanie, that’s exactly what I’d have said, only better.

31 Heidi May 21, 2010 at 9:27 am

Hey Kelly – if you drink raw whole milk – do you still need the butter oil??

32 KitchenKop May 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Hi Heidi,

My personal opinion is “probably not” if you’re in good health. We don’t take it, we eat lots of pastured butter, though.

33 Heidi May 21, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Where do you get your pastured butter? Do you have a brand that you know is pastured?

34 KitchenKop May 21, 2010 at 4:26 pm

We have a local source and I called the farm to be sure. :)

35 LeVar Ferrell July 7, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Has anyone ever heard of Sonne’s cod liver oil? The company says it’s unrefined.

36 Shalom April 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm

You said your family eats lots of butter. In what ways do you incorporate it into the diet? I can’t eat bread or other grains & need to find ways to add butter.

Sadly I don’t have sources for raw milk, pastured eggs, etc. There’s not even a Weston Price chapter near me. The only source I have is the grocery store & a health food store. The health food store isn’t close to me and they don’t seem to do much better than the grocery store in some areas (ex. ultra-pasteurized heavy cream). I did get my grocery store to get some non-ultra-pasteurized heavy cream, but it is HHST pasteurized – I’m not sure if that is better or not. My butter is organic and contains only pasteurized milk and lactic acid. I’m trying to find out what the “organic diet” consists of. I hope it is grass & no soy. I have a couple other butter choices, but one says it has pasteurized cream & natural flavoring (doesn’t say organic, I don’t know about hormones). The site says: The natural flavoring that is used as an ingredient in Challenge Unsalted European Style Butter, is a natural milk derivative starter distillate (distilled flavors from fermented, cultured milk) that is added to the cream prior to churning. It produces flavor compounds that give our unsalted butter a distinctive, pleasing taste. It is similar to those used in the production of sour cream and buttermilk. It is an all natural ingredient that is approved by the USDA and the FDA.

If the first one doesn’t use soy for feed, do you think it could be beneficial?

37 KitchenKop April 19, 2011 at 10:59 pm

To answer your last question: yes!

To answer your question about how to get more butter into your diet… We just add it to almost everything I cook.

–Casseroles: butter the pan so it doesn’t stick, and add butter to any and all sauces.
    –Serve melted butter over any veggies.
    –I even add a pat of butter to my homemade hot cocoa recipe (on the blog under beverage recipes).
    –Fry your eggs in butter.
    –Hardly any recipes are NOT better with butter!

38 Amy S September 8, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Our food co-op carries CLO by Spectrum Essentials – is this brand alright? Here are the ingredients: Norwegian Arctic Cod Liver Oil, Non-Genetically Engineered Natural Vitamin E (to preserve freshness), and Softgel (Gelatin, Water, Glycerin). The bottle says ‘molecularly distilled’, is that different from fermented?

39 KitchenKop September 8, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Sorry, I don’t know anything about that brand. I only recommend the FCLO because I know Dave and I know he knows his stuff!

40 Becky February 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm

There are 48 teaspoons in 8 ounces. Since the most used serving size for the fermented oil is 1/4 teaspoon(192) servings to 1/2 teaspoon (96) servings.

At $44 for 8 ounces the costs comes to $5.50 per ounce. There are 6 teaspoons in one ounce. Divide $5.50 by either 12(1/2tsp or 24(1/4tsp) and the cost is quite low, well under 50 cents per dose.

41 Lisa Jackson March 26, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Dear Kelly,

What year did most CLO makers change their manufacturing practices and stop fermenting it and begin heating it? I know that CLO used to be made through fermentation? When did that change?

Thanks,
    Lisa

42 KitchenKop March 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm

That’s a good question for Dave at Green Pasture, sorry I don’t know…